Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Seem to be losing a lot of FC Lately

1. Back To Top    #1

Spring, TX

Seem to be losing a lot of FC Lately

Pool gets full sun from about 9-10 am to about 5 pm in the afternoon. After 5 the pool is about half in sun for about another 1 hr. I am losing about 3-4 PPM per day which seems excessive compared to past summers when it would average around 2-3. I have passed the OCLT and my water is very clear. The following are my test numbers. I am thinking about maybe raising CYA from 30-50 as here in Texas water seems to evaporate like it is nothing due to the 90+ temps and humidity 80% and above. I know it is the summer time as I do not get this much evaporation during the winter. I also need to get my CH bumped up to around 350 as well soon. The biggest change I have had is changed from a DE filter to a cartridge. I did upgrade the size of the cartridge filter vs the DE filter. I had a 36 square foot DE filter and stepped up to a 425 square foot cartridge filter.

FC-6 (added bleach this am, was 7 yesterday morning and did not get to test last night. It was 3 this am when tested)
    TA-100 (bumped up from 80 since I was seeing pH drift up quickly)

13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

2. Back To Top    #2

South Central NJ

Re: Seem to be losing a lot of FC Lately

Bring the pH to 7.5 and the CYA to 50. Yes, Texas sun is strong and will raise the daytime chlorine demand. Part of the cost of doing business, IMHO.

Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.