Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CAUTION: NOT for those with a WEAK stomach!!!!!!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

CAUTION: NOT for those with a WEAK stomach!!!!!!!!

Well, it was bound to happen sooner or later, and with all the bad luck we've had with our second pool (just installed last month) it was inevitable that there were more "learning experiences" ahead for us with this new pool. I just really could have done without this learning experience I'm about to describe.

This weekend we had a young child vomit in the pool. It was a significant amount, enough that some of it pooled on the bottom of the pool and the rest dispersed over the surface. I used basic principles that I have learned here to clean up the mess, but I wanted to check in and make sure no one else had any advice to offer. Here are the steps I took:

• *We attended to the ill child and took care of his needs.
      *We asked the other swimmers to please exit the pool and closed the pool for the evening
      *I resisted the urge to drain the pool and scrub the whole thing down with Comit and steel wool
      *Instead I checked the FC level (it was 4) and added bleach to bring the pool up to shock level (I aimed for 12)
      *I attached my automatic vacuum to clean the bottom of the pool
      *I used my leaf net to skim the yuckies off of the surface of the water

The pool looked fine today, no trace of the icky stuff. I kept it closed anyway due rainy weather here today, but plan to open if all is well tomorrow. But before I reopen, I assume I should check and balance all chemical parameters, backwash the filter, and specifically check for CC's. If it all checks out, am I ok to reopen? Or is there something more I should do? Advice is appreciated.

Thanks!
    Leanne
    Leanne
    Pool: 24' round by 48" deep AGP
    Waterway 1HP-2 speed pump, H100 Heater, sand filter, skimmer, using BBB (love it!)
    Hot tub: 2008 CalSpas, 8x8, 8 seats, 60+ jets, ozonator
    3 step bromine sanitation

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CAUTION: NOT for those with a WEAK stomach!!!!!!!!

I would have manually vacuumed to waste. Sweeps can scatter the solids on the floor unless they are suction side.

Other than that, you're fine.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

I'd keep it at shock level until tomorrow just to be sure, though I think it's fine.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

I was once told by a nurse that there is very little "bad Stuff" (pathogens, etc) in vomit. She said it is mostly gastric acid, bile (aids in digestion), undigested food. It may look disgusting but is mostly harmless. This doen not mean you should swim in it and by all means keep the sanitizers going but if someone pee's in the pool I would suspect there is more bad stuff going in
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by danpik
    I was once told by a nurse that there is very little "bad Stuff" (pathogens, etc) in vomit. She said it is mostly gastric acid, bile (aids in digestion), undigested food. It may look disgusting but is mostly harmless. This doen not mean you should swim in it and by all means keep the sanitizers going but if someone pee's in the pool I would suspect there is more bad stuff going in
    It depends. In a *healthy* person, there should be no pathogens in the vomit. As a side note, a healthy person's pee is sterile, so there is really little infection issue, just nitrogen/urea/cc.

But that is for healthy folks, and if a kid is barfing, he may not be healthy, thus there may be something germy in the barf. Regardless, chlorine is the answer, and you're doing exactly what you need to do. Chlorinate, chlorinate, chlorinate. If you pass an OCLT, you are good.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

6. Back To Top    #6

lol. I only read it because of the title. Nasty. I know its mostly psychological but still. Nasty. lol

What is OCLT?
    18x34 Doughboy AGP 22300K Gallons - Build Thread
    Aquaview 24" Sand Filter - 1.5 HP Powerline Pump - Barracuda Ranger - Taylor K-2006 - BBB
    Pool School and Pool Calculator

7. Back To Top    #7

Float to the top...
    Leasure bay AG 24ft,52 in high.installed June of 1999. Hayworth S-180 T sand filter/Power-Flo Matrix 1horse 2 speed pump /Aqua Trol SWG/Using TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Glock
    lol. I only read it because of the title. Nasty. I know its mostly psychological but still. Nasty. lol

What is OCLT?
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...rnight_fc_test
    18' x 42" Intex (4786 Gal @ 80% capacity) Intex 8110 SWCG, 2000 GPH cartridge filter.
    Full Sun, Well Water, Borates at approx. 50
    TFTestKit-100--The Pool Calculator--Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by George N
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock

What is OCLT?
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...rnight_fc_test
    Very interesting. I read the pool school but must have missed that.
    18x34 Doughboy AGP 22300K Gallons - Build Thread
    Aquaview 24" Sand Filter - 1.5 HP Powerline Pump - Barracuda Ranger - Taylor K-2006 - BBB
    Pool School and Pool Calculator

10. Back To Top    #10

Well,Public pool's?????
    Leasure bay AG 24ft,52 in high.installed June of 1999. Hayworth S-180 T sand filter/Power-Flo Matrix 1horse 2 speed pump /Aqua Trol SWG/Using TF-100 Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by kplaster
    Well,Public pool's?????
    That's why we have these guys:
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

12. Back To Top    #12

Well, the pool looks fine and at 48 hours after the "incident" I have found no CC's present in any of my tests. So we did go ahead and open the pool tonight. Thanks for all of the reassuring advice! I'm sure this is all more psychologically distressing than it is physically risky. I am glad though that I have you all to fall back on for advice!
    Leanne
    Pool: 24' round by 48" deep AGP
    Waterway 1HP-2 speed pump, H100 Heater, sand filter, skimmer, using BBB (love it!)
    Hot tub: 2008 CalSpas, 8x8, 8 seats, 60+ jets, ozonator
    3 step bromine sanitation