FC, CC and CYA at 0; added 68% Cal Hypo; FC 0.2 CC 3.0!

davidm

Aug 1, 2011
Stratford, CT
Here's where I was after opening, adding pH increaser and baking soda:

pH 7.5
TA 130
CYA <30, probably 0
FC 0
CC 0

Then I added three lbs of 68% cal hypo. I tested after 1hr and now:

FC 0.2
CC 3.0

I wasn't expecting the CC to spike so I just want to make sure I make the right next step. I added three more lbs of cal hypo and put two tri-chlor pucks in the floater. I plan on getting some CYA tomorrow to begin the process of raising that.

Background: 17x35 in ground with a sand filter and vinyl liner. I have a safety cover so I am used to dirty looking water when opening. This is in CT, where is hasn't been very warm so far and I just opened this past weekend. I purchased a K-2006 kit last year based on the recommendation form this site and had great results with it. This is my first year opening on my own.

I netted out leaves and ran my robotic vacuum a few times. There was still some sticky muck on the sloped and flat parts of the liner which would not vacuum out so I scrubbed it loose with a squeegee brush. Now the water is dark and murky with about 4' of visibility because I stirred up the loose organics while cleaning.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I would let the muck settle back to the bottom and then vacuum it out of the pool (preferably to waste) before bothering with chlorine. The muck is just going to continue to eat through your chlorine as you have already seen.

toadlife said:
I would let the muck settle back to the bottom and then vacuum it out of the pool (preferably to waste) before bothering with chlorine. The muck is just going to continue to eat through your chlorine as you have already seen.

This makes sense. It settled pretty well over night so this morning I vacuumed to waste and took a lot of brown stuff out of the pool. I dropped in the robot to mop up. I'll let it go a while and see if it looks like I should vacuum again or go back to chlorine. Thanks for the help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.