Need help ASAP please!

May 1, 2012
NC USA
Has anyone heard of Caribbean Bay Pools? They are a company who makes fiberglass pools in Honduras and ships them into a port in NC. Seems somewhat sketchy to me.

Wondering about the quality? And the company itself? Supposedly they are comparable to Viking and Barrier Reef pools but there is little info online about the company itself. They are owned by a Gary & Gwen Randall out of Shallot, NC who supposedly moved the company out of the states for tax reasons?!

What do you think? Should we run the other direction? Please send advice soon!!!

Thank you Trouble Free Pool People!!!

Never heard of Caribbean Bay or Barrier Reef.

Comparable to a Viking? I doubt it.

How long is the warranty? Include the structural and gel coat.

Shells, except for the major brands, tend to be pretty regionalized due to the transportation issues. Shells are not cheap to transport and the shell market is highly competitive. Even with the reduced manufacturing costs, the shipping has to cost which means the shell is suffering somewhere.

Scott

It says it is warrantied for the original owner to be structurally sound for your entire life. It also says the gel coat is good for 7 years. 3 years unconditional and the remaining 4- prorated. That excludes discoloration, staining, fading, hairline, cracks, blistering, surface yellowing, covalting abd roughness due to water chemistry or material characteristics of the gel cost finish.

Barrier Reef is supposedly made by Viking but the Caribbean Bay Pool is not. It is made in Honduras and shipped into the USA. That concerns me because if there is indeed a problem-They are not here to fix it and if the installer goes out if business-I'm out of luck, right?

Sorry for the poor typing. I'm working from my phone.

moppymo said:
It says it is warrantied for the original owner to be structurally sound for your entire life. It also says the gel coat is good for 7 years. 3 years unconditional and the remaining 4- prorated. That excludes discoloration, staining, fading, hairline, cracks, blistering, surface yellowing, covalting abd roughness due to water chemistry or material characteristics of the gel cost finish.

Barrier Reef is supposedly made by Viking but the Caribbean Bay Pool is not. It is made in Honduras and shipped into the USA. That concerns me because if there is indeed a problem-They are not here to fix it and if the installer goes out if business-I'm out of luck, right?

Sorry for the poor typing. I'm working from my phone.

I think you have answered your own question twice now, once in both posts!

Seems to me they have done more than move their company offshore for tax reasons, the exclusions pretty much state that their lifetime warranty isn't worth two cents.

With a list of exclusions like that I wouldn't even consider buying their products, you get what you pay for, (or maybe not).

Not sure how their price compares to those "Made in the US", but if it sounds too good to be true it most likely is.

Buy American and keep America working.

moppymo said:

Given my situation (and the supplementary information I've obtained in the process), I'm a bit of a cynic regarding fiberglass pool warranties. My main problem (badly unlevel pool, many cracks) is an installation problem, not a manufacturer warranty issue, but the manufacturer is getting involved on behalf of the dealer, and I'm seeing firsthand how it would likely go if an actual warranty claim was made at some point later.

If you read your warranty, it will undoubtedly have exclusions for stuff like "ground shifting, floods, settling, earthquakes, subsidence" etc. Floods and earthquakes are pretty easily definable events... I suppose there could still be an argument as to whether or not these were the cause of the damage, but I think it's pretty safe to say that if your pool has a big crack in it right after an earthquake or flood, well, "there's yer problem!"

The others are more vague, though, and give the manufacturer the ability to basically deny any warranty claim. "Sorry, the ground settled and shifted, that's why your pool cracked." Maybe that really is the reason, maybe it isn't... but they'll say with absolute confidence that it is, and thus the damage is not covered. Another powerful exclusion is of the installation itself. I have no doubt that, had I not noticed the problems with my pool initially and then tried to file a warranty claim after a year or two, my claim would have been denied due to improper installation.

Maybe in a way these things are not necessarily completely unfair... I mean, if a fiberglass pool truly is installed properly, perhaps it really is virtually impossible for it to just suddenly crack. So, any crack that does develop has to be the result of a bad installation or some massive external force. But regardless, it's a bad situation for you as a consumer to be in... essentially, the people who will have to pay for the repair or replacement are the ones who decide whether or not it's covered. Some go even further with making this perfectly clear... Barrier Reef's warranty states that they "in its sole discretion, will make the determination as to the cause of the alleged structural fault".

It's the same thing with the gelcoat warranty. Note, the exclusions you listed only apply when "due to water chemistry" (though it also says "or material characteristics of the gel cost finish"... not sure what that means). So, they'll fix these problems under ordinary circumstances. Or will they? I've been told by multiple sources that the manufacturer of my pool employs a "hitman" of sorts whose job it is to go to a customer's pool that is full of blisters and explain to them that the problem happened because their pH was briefly 7.0 or their calcium was 190... sorry, your warranty is void. True, it's not the manufacturer's fault if someone fills their pool with a 50/50 mix of water and muriatic acid, but rather than pay for an expensive repair or replacement, they'll cite water parameters that are just barely out of normal range as the reason for major gelcoat problems that most people would consider to be a manufacturing error.

I have no reason to believe that all manufacturers are this shady. Perhaps many of them (especially the more well-known brands) do firmly stand behind their product, to avoid getting a bad reputation. But what I've experienced so far has left me feeling that fiberglass pool warranties are just barely worth the paper they are printed on (hence my fight to get a proper installation... so that I hopefully don't ever have to file a warranty claim!).

--Michael

This doesn't seem that tough of a decision, really...

You're about to spend several thousand dollars on a piece of equipment that could impact the health and safety of your family, your property, your home, and your neighborhood.

This doesn't really strike me as the the right time to run around wondering if you should spend that money with a company whose location concerns you, whose track record is unverifiable, and whose information is difficult 9at best) to track down.

But maybe I'm just weird like that...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.