Wondering about water park water...

MattM

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 14, 2011
San Diego, CA
In San Diego -- We have at least 3 water parks nearby that I know of: lego land, one run by knotts, and a community one within driving distance. My wife added the lego land water park admission to our annual passes and I took my first real full visit to the water park area today....

Maybe, I'm just spoiled or obsessive with our pool, but all I could think of when I saw what appeared to be 100 kids of all ages from tiny toddlers to teens swimming in a very shallow but wide kids pool with multiple slides was that there was no way the water could be safe/clean... even if the kids showered/changed after wards.

Are water parks held to high standards (one might guess so in nanny state california)? Is there likely a giant chlorine dispensor continually working behind the scenes? Am I just ruining the fun thinking about it? :)

I have a hard time thinking about going to waterparks since I started maintaining a pool...and I haven't gone since then. My kids have gone, and they report stinging eyes, combined chlorine smell, etc....yuk They are used to our pool now, where none of this occurs.

Supposedly http://www.cdph.ca.gov/healthinfo/e...californiapublicswimmingpoolrequirements.aspx

There are commercial in-line chlorine addition systems that have a chlorine gas cylinder that large parks like this use or they use at point chlorine generators (something along the lines of the small ones posted about here).

However, what you'll find is that the daily tests are more than likly done by an 18 or 19 year old that is there for the summer and the only time the pros are called in are to change out the chlorine cylinder and if there happens to be an issue.... like the chlorine reads zero no matter how high they open the valve... :YIKES:

Years and Years ago.... used to live in S.D. Dad was USN stationed out of 32ndSt... went to HS there and my buddy had a life guard job at one of the public pools during the summer... all of 17 and he was the one running the tests - and this is exactly what happened one weekend. Pool was closed for a week while they tried to get control of the water chemistry!

-WC

-wc

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.