Broken flange -- need new filter today

survey77777

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 18, 2007
ontario, canada
Hello

I've been away from the forum for quite some time. I passed over the pool care to my OH but ... now I think I might want back in.

My first question should be to find out where I can order or buy a decent test kit from for Canadian delivery? For now I've had to use strips other than to check the chlorine level which held at 10+ for over 24 hours and was at about a 4 when I checked it this evening.

I have returned to pool school and am hoping to get my groove back here.

Now onto the main issues:

Our water is milky looking. There is no smell. It is holding chlorine levels and shock held for more than 24 hours. I did not see algae clouds beginning and we did not have any algae blooms that we know of. It seems way worse than when we've had dead algae needing to clear in the past anyway.

After reading through a bit of Pool School tonight I started thinking that maybe I should do the garden hose into the filter cleaning? Could it really be that simple?

It's really frustrating and now that our baby is two he's able to demand pool time...all the time, and I'd love for us to spend more time enjoying the pool without resenting it every time I look at the mess it's in.

Extreme cloudiness

Fellow Canuck here so I'll chime in on the test kit.

The only place you can get them in Canada is from a broker called Amato Industries. But be warned ... They aren't cheap. If you are close to the border ... I had mine drop shipped to a UPS dealer and picked it up. For $70 US $, they didn't even bother stopping me at the border. From Amato, the same test kit was $155.

As for cleaning your filter ... I had been cleaning mine double time. Let it soak in a mild dishwasher detergent for a couple of hours, them rinse that bad boy like crazy. A good 10 minutes I was doing. Then put it in a muriatic acid bath for about 10 minutes then rinsed again. Worked really well.

Good luck tho. It'll take some
Time bit you'll get there!!!

Re: Extreme cloudiness

I need to read the guidlelines regarding profanity on this board.

So tonight I took the top off of the filter, put the hose in and tonnes of junk was coming out with completely opaque water. I let it go until my little guy couldn't wait any longer to go to bed and left it in the hands of my other half to wait for the water to clear and put the top back on the filter. I mentioned approximately a billion times about how careful he had to be with all the internal parts etc.

He called in to me a bit later to ask if there was a secret to getting the top lined up and back on...it's dark at this point.

Apparently while I was saying "just be really careful with it, I tried not to shift it at all and left it just a couple of inches above where it seats. If you can't get it just leave it 'til tomorrow rather than risk something going wrong". It seems that while I was talking to him about this his brother "gave it a shot" and snapped off some sort of tube on the inside. I honestly don't know what to say and don't even want to go and see what they're saying exactly.

Seems any channeling issues should be solved with a new filter...and sand. I hope it's ok if I start a new thread regarding filter shopping. Would still love advice on this issue though.

Need to buy a new filter tomorrow..advice?

It seems our sand filter is now broken.
I'm guessing that repairs are not worthwhile on something like this.
Any advice on replacing a filter? What to look for, etc.?
Is sand the best type of filter?
I'm so annoyed about all of this right now...grrr.
I'm a researcher by nature so the thought of having to just run out and choose one tomorrow distresses me.

Welcome back survey77777 :wave:

For your cloudiness, could you please post a full set of test numbers.

As to the filter, there should be no need to buy a new one. Please post pictures of the filter and the snapped off tube, it may just be the standpipe which is often just schedule 40 pvc.

As to a new thread, please keep it all in this thread...most of us don't pay attention to where the threads are located and just search "active topics". I have moved you other post(thread) to here.

Thank you. I really hope that you're right about the filter.

In my initial post I mentioned that I'm trying to get my hands on a good test kit but it seems to be tougher to do here in Canada.

I can give you either test strip or pool store number tomorrow. I know that chlorine on a strip was three today...and 5 yesterday.
All other numbers were in range.

Oh yes, I'm aware that the filter is first priority. Obviously when this posting started the filter wasn't broken.

Anyway...next part of what is turning out to be quite a soap opera. He also broke the flange on the filter last night.
I can not imagine that something like that would be reparable on a high pressure piece of equipment like a filter. I'm attaching a photo just to show the part mentioned.

So on to buying a new filter. We are going to have to do this today.
Suggestions on the new purchase?
Do we stick with sand?
Anything else I should know to make this a positive moment instead of the huge annoyance it feels like right now?
Does size matter? Brand? Any other features to be aware of?

Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
survey77777 said:
So on to buying a new filter. We are going to have to do this today.
Suggestions on the new purchase?
Do we stick with sand?
Anything else I should know to make this a positive moment instead of the huge annoyance it feels like right now?
Does size matter? Brand? Any other features to be aware of?
Size of filter matched to pool size does matter as well as matched to the pump.

Here is what we need to know to start:

What is your pool volume?

What is your pump model number?

If sand has worked fine in the past for you, I would probably stick with it.

survey77777 said:
Approx volume is 23000 gallons
For a pool that size, we would recommend:
- sand filter 4.3 sq. ft.
- cartridge filter 340 sq. ft.
- DE filter >32 sq. ft. (some would say 64 sq.ft.)

We would need more info on you current pump to know if it can properly backwash the recommended sand filter size.

Here are the only other numbers I can find on it. I will post a pic of the filter because I seem to remember needing a model number on this once before and it being obsolete.
Current filter is model swimquip wc27-91 there are no other numbers anywhere on it other than the one I posted earlier.
Approx volume is 23000 gallons
Pump is old 3/4hp sp 2605x7f

Is there a label on the side of the filter body? It does not look very large to me. If you do not see a label, measure the circumference using a flexible tailor's tape measure.

How was you sand filter working for you?

The pump you listed looks like a hayward super pump 3/4 hp Uprated, which will probably not backwash properly a sand filter as large as I listed above (4.3 sq.ft). Without more plumbing details, it is hard to say for sure but that pump probably limits you to a ~3 sq. ft. sand filter.

there is no label anywhere on the body of the filter. The current filter is approximately 5 feet it is circumference. To be honest we have not had great luck with maintaining our pool with this filter. I had to change the sand once thinking that was the problem. I also added de a couple of timesd. But it just seems like we have to work a lot harder to keep sediment and particulat from coming back into our pool through the return then other people. On our why to pool store now...hoping to hear from you again before we make the purchase. But we need to buy 1 today since it's been 24 hours with no filtration and is very hot today

Sorry, was on my phone posting that last reply. On our way to the pool store now. I think we have to buy tonight due to how hot it is etc. What are the disadvantages with going with a smaller filter? The other one worked...it just always seemed like we had to work harder to make it work than other people do. I have posted here before about the problem of having particulate come back through the returns and ended up having to buy a slime bag to help and then adding de etc. so as soon as you mentioned the pump being the possible problem a lot of things clicked for us.
I guess my question is at what point does it make more sense to upgrade your pump than to downsize your filter.
I can't tell you how much I appreciate how on top of this you've been with me through the day. I'm taking my phone and will check back when we get to the store to hear what you guys, the real experts, advise on our purchase.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.