Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pump not keeping prime

1. Back To Top    #1

pump not keeping prime

I have a 16000 gal fiberglass pool with sand filter, about 10 years old. I used to be able to use a timer for turning the pump on and off but the pump needs to be primed manually now. It has some air in the basket before the pump while running, but no air in the return lines. Suggestions?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pump not keeping prime

check the gasket on the basket cover,, pump drain plugs,,, lots of good people on here that have mountains of knowledge,, they'll be along shortly...
    21000 Gallons I/G,,Vinyl,, 1.5 H.P. Hayward Pump,, Hayward Sand Filter S244T.. Liquidator.

3. Back To Top    #3

You have a suction side leak. Joel gave you good advice. Check those and if that's not it, run water from a hose over the suction side plumbing and pump basket.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

from looking at my specific pump, it takes a 1/4" drain plug. My local pool store can get me a hayward 1/4" plug... that's not my pump manufacturer. Is it likely to work (is a drain plug a fairly universally interchangable part)?

5. Back To Top    #5

They're ¼" NPT so they're universal.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit