Newbie - PLS HELP - Chlorine 0??? what am i doing wrong?

Jun 17, 2012
Howard City, MI
Hello. We have a Pool Series 18' x 48" metal frame pool with the skimmer filter. It holds 6,500 gallons approximately. We have had up about a week and I am still struggling to get all the levels to where they need to be. I can't seem to get chlorine to read. When first put up I have shocked several times trying to raise chlorine level but doesn't seem to be working. Water is pretty clear but not "sparkly" clear. I check my filter daily to make sure it is clean and have noticed a yellowish orange color on filter. Our filter has the chlorine dispenser in middle but not sure this is working very well so put a floater in pool for tablets.

A couple times my pH has tested high so I have used ph Minus to bring down but it keeps going back up and chlorine stays at 0.

I just tested pool again and here are my levels:

Free Chlorine (FC) 0/0
pH 8.4
Total Alkalinity 120
Total Hardness 400
Cyanuric Acid 30-50

Chemicals I have bought to use (all hth products):
Dual Action 1" Chlorinating Tablets
Shock 'n Swim (used several times)
ph Minus
ph Plus (haven't needed to use this yet)
Natural Clarifier (only used this once)

I need help from some experts. Please Help! Thank you so much. :shock:

Re: Cannot Get Raise Chlorine Level

Welcome to tfp, Terrjam :wave:

First, get ph down now at least to 7.8, but even down to 7.4. Muratic acid is a good choice for this and is cheaper than ph down...but ph down will work.

Next, probably the best thing you can do for your pool is get an appropriate test kit. Pool stores tend to be unreliable and test strips often are outright wrong. See link in my sig for recommended test kits.

I would not use the tablets anymore, they add cya to the water, and you probably do not need much more.

You will need to follow the shocking process to clear your pool.

Let us know what questions you have!

Thank you for your response and the helpful information.

I will keep Muratic acid in mind for when the jug of my ph minus is gone.

I do know I need to get a different test kit. I purchased the hth test strips at beginning of season.......will they be sufficient until they are out and I can get a different kit?

You stated that I should not use the tablets anymore. Are you referring to the hth Dual Action 1" Chlorinating Tabs? I have a huge container of them and don't want to waste the money already spent if I don't have to. I don't understand why my chlorine level is still 0. Aren't these "Chlorine" tablets? :cry:

I have printed off the "Shock Your Pool" procedures and am going to try to figure that out. I hope this all gets easier and I don't pull all my hair out before then. This is suppose to be relaxing but haven't reached that point yet.

Thanks again for your help and I may have more questions. :?

Terrjam said:
I do know I need to get a different test kit. I purchased the hth test strips at beginning of season.......will they be sufficient until they are out and I can get a different kit?
Not in our opinion. If you use the google search on very low left of page, you can find posts where the strips were outright misleading.

Terrjam said:
You stated that I should not use the tablets anymore. Are you referring to the hth Dual Action 1" Chlorinating Tabs?
Yes, stop using them. In addition to chlorine, they put cya and copper into your pool. If the cya results you previously reported are right, you do not want to add much more. Copper is not necessary for pools and can stain the pool surface and turn blond hair green.

Terrjam said:
I have printed off the "Shock Your Pool" procedures and am going to try to figure that out. I hope this all gets easier and I don't pull all my hair out before then. This is suppose to be relaxing but haven't reached that point yet.
Read those instructions, and then post any questions you have here. We will help you through it, and it becomes quite easy once you get going.

TonyM said:
Terrjam said:
If I need to stop using the Chlorinating Tablets, how do I get chlorine in my pool? :oops:
Regular (unscented) bleach from your favorite store.

...except not dollar tree bleach, or the super cheap stuff at Walmart, as those are usually 3%. Check the bottle and make sure it's at least 6%. If it does not specify percentage, don't buy it.

x2rider said:
except not dollar tree bleach, or the super cheap stuff at Walmart, as those are usually 3%. Check the bottle and make sure it's at least 6%. If it does not specify percentage, don't buy it.
+1
Clorox seems to give me the best results, although i am now going through a batch of the Walmart brand I picked up on sale. It seems just as good... maybe slightly less potent.
Steer clear of the thrift store bleach with an inch of dust coating the jug...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.