Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: "Safer" Muriatic Acid

1. Back To Top    #1

"Safer" Muriatic Acid

I just went to the big box store and bought Muriatic acid. I didnt' look at the lable that closely - i just saw Muriatic Acid and grabbed it. When i got home i noticed it's says it has 90% lower fumes than standard muriatic acid. i can't find anywhere on the label that shows the stregth. is this ok to use? anybody used it before and know what strenth it is?

Happy Fathers Day!
    Jeremiah Hough

22,000 gallon, vinyl liner, chlorine, with auto cover

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: "Safer" Muriatic Acid

Quite a bit lower. I can not recall if there are also other ingredients. Do a quick search of the forums.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Muriatic Acid is Muriatic Acid...Just be careful opening&pouring in...Be careful not to splash on cloth's,yourself..Make sure to wash hand's,arm's,etc off when done.
    Leasure bay AG 24ft,52 in high.installed June of 1999. Hayworth S-180 T sand filter/Power-Flo Matrix 1horse 2 speed pump /Aqua Trol SWG/Using TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Amarillo, Texas

Muriatic Acid comes in different strengths. It is very difficult to calculate what level you might have. I would return and it get the regular stuff. As long as you're careful pouring it'll be fine.
    18'x48" AG
    Pentair 1 1/2 HP Dynamo Pump
    Sand Dollar Sand Filter w/ Zeobrite
    Lil Shark Vacuum System
    Hard Plumbed

5. Back To Top    #5

West Virginia

Dont know the exact number, but it is definately not as strong as the "regular" stuff. I sent DH on a trip to get some and he brought home the Safer stuff. I figured it was the same thing. Usually it takes a half jug to knock my pool back in line, I used the entire jug and still didnt work. I went back and bought a jug of the kind I had before and it worked like usual. It has to be a weaker strength.
    WV Girl

Custom "L" shape IG gunite pool, 36K gal., main drain, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, hayward heat pump, hayward 1.5hp pump with booster pump, ozonator, 4 cartridge filter.
    one dear hubby, two waterlogged kids, and lots of good times!

6. Back To Top    #6
    Somewhere in the middle of Nebraska

Re: "Safer" muriatic acid

Take a picture of the bottle if you can and post... try to get a clear picture of the labels.
    If you ask, the store you purchased the product at will usually provide you with an MSDS or you can often find one at the manufacturer's website... this will be helpful as usually in section 2 there is a list of ingredients usually listing the amount of each present.

As said muriatic acid is muriatic acid; however, I've been looking at these so called "safer versions" and I am finding that they often are a weaker solution and some have other additives like urea, citric acid, and other junk that might cause issues with the water balance. I asked about such a product here: this stuff has right on the label that it's good for use in pools... and the comments I received in my query here were enough to make me take a much closer look at the stuff offered in the stores and to take a pass the safer stuff I was looking at on the shelf.

Intex Ultraframe 14'x3.5-Round (4000ish-gal) AG - Vinyl - Intex 5667EG Sand Filter 1600gph :)
    ( retired: 637R Crtrge 1000gph someday it may have another life as a water fountain... or feet washer! Solar Water Heater? )

:mrgreen: Click here to Goto Pool School. :scratch: How Much Of What? Click Here - :lookhere: TestKits