Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: BBB on a commercial pool?

  1. Back To Top    #1

    BBB on a commercial pool?

    We just bought a vacation condo and the condo pool is a milky color. There were like 20 people in the pool too (gross). Id like to help the condo association maintain the pool to keep it crystal clear. Right now the association spends 2K/month on pool maintenance.

    I had read posts about commercial pools before that suggested that there are public health limits to CYA and FC levels.

    Does anyone know in a general sense what those rules might be?
    17,800 gallon, IG pool, 595 sq feet (17x35x4.5 avg rectangle), Hayward 525 cartridge filter, diamondbrite, 2 hp 2 speed hayward tristar filter, Stenner 45mhp10 automatically chlorinating

  2. Back To Top    #2
    Richard320's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)
    Posts
    18,768

    Re: BBB on a commercial pool?

    Start by looking at the county health department website. If they have nothing, then try the state dept of public health. You'll probably find both defer to the Center for Disease Control, but they may be a bit stricter. A lot of it is here: http://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/swimming/pools/
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

  3. Back To Top    #3
    JasonLion's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Silver Spring, MD
    Posts
    37,879

    Re: BBB on a commercial pool?

    It varies quite a bit from state to state. Some states limit CYA to 100, others don't allow any CYA. Some limit FC to 3, others to 5, some not at all. You really need to look up your local rules.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

  4. Back To Top    #4

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    San Rafael, CA USA
    Posts
    12,082

    Re: BBB on a commercial pool?

    The National Swimming Pool Foundation has a page with links to state and county codes that you might find helpful. You don't have your location in your profile so I couldn't look up the specific rules for you.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

  5. Back To Top    #5

    Re: BBB on a commercial pool?

    the condo is in corpus christi tx pre 99 construction. I looked at the texas code but it didnt give limits for chemical values
    17,800 gallon, IG pool, 595 sq feet (17x35x4.5 avg rectangle), Hayward 525 cartridge filter, diamondbrite, 2 hp 2 speed hayward tristar filter, Stenner 45mhp10 automatically chlorinating

  6. Back To Top    #6
    wetchem's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in the middle of Nebraska
    Posts
    208

    Re: BBB on a commercial pool?

    My advice, in Texas... having helped to keep a hotel pool in the clear while in college... call the local health departement!
    You can try to look up the stuff online; however, the local inspector will have his/her own interpretation and it doesn't matter what the code states... think airport. You do not want to run afoul of these people... no sense of humor!
    -wc
    Intex Ultraframe 14'x3.5-Round (4000ish-gal) AG - Vinyl - Intex 5667EG Sand Filter 1600gph :)
    ( retired: 637R Crtrge 1000gph someday it may have another life as a water fountain... or feet washer! Solar Water Heater? )

    :mrgreen: Click here to Goto Pool School. :scratch: How Much Of What? Click Here - Poolcalculator.com :lookhere: TestKits

  7. Back To Top    #7

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    San Rafael, CA USA
    Posts
    12,082

    Re: BBB on a commercial pool?

    This link to the Texas code refers to this table of chemical parameter limits. FC must be between 1 and 8 ppm. Combined Chlorine (CC) must be "None" which is ridiculously strict and likely unachievable. pH must be between 7.0 and 7.8. CYA must be from 0 to 100 ppm and cannot be used in indoor pools nor in spas.

    As wetchem noted, it's best to find out how the local health inspector interprets this code.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

  8. Back To Top    #8

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Ridgefield, CT
    Posts
    73

    Re: BBB on a commercial pool?

    Just curious, but aren't some these regulations countereffective if they have a FC limit of say 3.0, but permit CYA to get all the way up to 100?
    33,000 gallon plaster pool
    Jandy L-Series -CL580 Cartridge Filter

  9. Back To Top    #9
    wetchem's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in the middle of Nebraska
    Posts
    208

    Re: BBB on a commercial pool?

    yossarian: Exactly !!!!
    This is why I strongly advise march2012 to call the local office... they do not have a sense of humor.
    -wc
    Intex Ultraframe 14'x3.5-Round (4000ish-gal) AG - Vinyl - Intex 5667EG Sand Filter 1600gph :)
    ( retired: 637R Crtrge 1000gph someday it may have another life as a water fountain... or feet washer! Solar Water Heater? )

    :mrgreen: Click here to Goto Pool School. :scratch: How Much Of What? Click Here - Poolcalculator.com :lookhere: TestKits

  10. Back To Top    #10

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    San Rafael, CA USA
    Posts
    12,082

    Re: BBB on a commercial pool?

    Because of the decades-long mantra from some manufacturers that "CYA doesn't matter; only FC matters", there are very, very few people in the swimming pool and spa sector or in the environmental health sector that understand the chlorine/CYA relationship even though it was definitively determined in 1974 with over a dozen prior and subsequent scientific peer-reviewed studies in respected journals showing the chemical relationship to hold true with regard to disinfection and oxidation rates and ORP levels (see the Chlorine/CYA Relationship section in the Certified Pool Operator (CPO) training -- What is not taught post for technical details and links to these papers).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

  11. Back To Top    #11

    Re: BBB on a commercial pool?

    Quote Originally Posted by chem geek
    This link to the Texas code refers to this table of chemical parameter limits. FC must be between 1 and 8 ppm. Combined Chlorine (CC) must be "None" which is ridiculously strict and likely unachievable. pH must be between 7.0 and 7.8. CYA must be from 0 to 100 ppm and cannot be used in indoor pools nor in spas.

    As wetchem noted, it's best to find out how the local health inspector interprets this code.
    Thanks, somehow I missed the link to the water quality chart. That is exactly what I needed.
    17,800 gallon, IG pool, 595 sq feet (17x35x4.5 avg rectangle), Hayward 525 cartridge filter, diamondbrite, 2 hp 2 speed hayward tristar filter, Stenner 45mhp10 automatically chlorinating

  12. Back To Top    #12

    Re: BBB on a commercial pool?

    Quote Originally Posted by yossarian
    Just curious, but aren't some these regulations countereffective if they have a FC limit of say 3.0, but permit CYA to get all the way up to 100?
    They most likely have been using a solid chlorine source. The HOA pres basically said "2 years ago the pool was fine, but in the last year it has been bad". This is a classic, CYA built up issue. Im having them get a tf100 kit with XL option and Im bringing my test kit down this weekend. Most likely they will have to do a partial drain and then start the shock process.

    The currently have a budget of 2k/month for 2 pools. Not sure of the volume, but they arent huge. Im estimating that chemicals should cost less than 300/month.

    Im not sure how they are adding chemicals right now. I would think they would have automation, but they might not.
    17,800 gallon, IG pool, 595 sq feet (17x35x4.5 avg rectangle), Hayward 525 cartridge filter, diamondbrite, 2 hp 2 speed hayward tristar filter, Stenner 45mhp10 automatically chlorinating

  13. Back To Top    #13

    Re: BBB on a commercial pool?

    Just as an update, when I last measured the pool chemistry the FC was 25ppm and the CYA was about 160. The HOA president was skeptical that anything needed to be done so he had the manager take a pool sample to leslies.

    Leslies measured the cya at 50 and the FC at "5+". The person who tested the sample even signed his name to make it official.

    The HOA president considered the case closed since a professional pool company tested the water.

    It is now two weeks later and I tested the water, the FC is now 35ppm and the CYA is so high I cant even read it even after diluting the sample. This means The CYA is over 200ppm. The water is pretty clear which is what the HOA president is using to judge it.

    They are sucking down pucks like there is no tomorrow apparently.

    Any suggestions with how to proceed?
    17,800 gallon, IG pool, 595 sq feet (17x35x4.5 avg rectangle), Hayward 525 cartridge filter, diamondbrite, 2 hp 2 speed hayward tristar filter, Stenner 45mhp10 automatically chlorinating

  14. Back To Top    #14

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    332

    Re: BBB on a commercial pool?

    You could approach them on an economic level. Hard to do if you don't know exactly how much it's costing to keep those levels up.

    Probably your best bet is to wait. There will come a time when the Chlorine will be below 7% of the CYA level if they're using pucks. When that happens the pool will turn. It'll take a tanker truck of liquid Chlorine to fix if the CYA is 200 or above. Given their lack of knowledge about the CYA/Chlorine ratio they'll probably throw more Trichlor and/or Dichlor at it. Even if they use CalHypo , the amount needed could cause additional problems depending on CH levels. Add the fact that they probably have no concept of a proper shock process, they'll probably wind up draining the pool.
    Bill
    18'X4' 7600 Gal AG
    3/4 HP Pentair Pump
    Hayward S166T 100 lb sand filter

  15. Back To Top    #15

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    San Rafael, CA USA
    Posts
    12,082

    Re: BBB on a commercial pool?

    An anonymous call to the health department and their coming out and measuring the FC above 8 ppm and the CYA above 100 ppm will have that pool shut down at which point an "I told you so" would be appropriate. Well, OK, so that's pretty extreme, but jeez, this HOA president is just going to drive you nuts.

    Sucking down pucks means the chlorine demand is rising and that's probably due to a nascent algae bloom even if not yet visible. So soon the water will turn dull and then cloudy and then a full-fledged bloom. Show him the Leslie's report at that point in time to remind him of their incompetence.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

  16. Back To Top    #16

    Re: BBB on a commercial pool?

    Quote Originally Posted by chem geek
    An anonymous call to the health department and their coming out and measuring the FC above 8 ppm and the CYA above 100 ppm will have that pool shut down at which point an "I told you so" would be appropriate. Well, OK, so that's pretty extreme, but jeez, this HOA president is just going to drive you nuts.

    Sucking down pucks means the chlorine demand is rising and that's probably due to a nascent algae bloom even if not yet visible. So soon the water will turn dull and then cloudy and then a full-fledged bloom. Show him the Leslie's report at that point in time to remind him of their incompetence.
    the water is already cloudy at the end of each day. any ideas when the pool will turn? how long can it be maintained like this?
    17,800 gallon, IG pool, 595 sq feet (17x35x4.5 avg rectangle), Hayward 525 cartridge filter, diamondbrite, 2 hp 2 speed hayward tristar filter, Stenner 45mhp10 automatically chlorinating

  17. Back To Top    #17

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    San Rafael, CA USA
    Posts
    12,082

    Re: BBB on a commercial pool?

    It depends on the algae nutrient levels (phosphates and nitrates) in the pool. It will probably stay cloudier longer as the CYA rises over time and may get visible algae at some point, but can't predict exactly when that will be.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

  18. Back To Top    #18

    Re: BBB on a commercial pool?

    Quote Originally Posted by yeggim
    You could approach them on an economic level. Hard to do if you don't know exactly how much it's costing to keep those levels up.

    Probably your best bet is to wait. There will come a time when the Chlorine will be below 7% of the CYA level if they're using pucks. When that happens the pool will turn. It'll take a tanker truck of liquid Chlorine to fix if the CYA is 200 or above. Given their lack of knowledge about the CYA/Chlorine ratio they'll probably throw more Trichlor and/or Dichlor at it. Even if they use CalHypo , the amount needed could cause additional problems depending on CH levels. Add the fact that they probably have no concept of a proper shock process, they'll probably wind up draining the pool.
    I did, right now they are budgeted for 2000/month. I explained they could get it down to about 500/month or possibly even less. But right now they trust the professionals at the pool store.
    17,800 gallon, IG pool, 595 sq feet (17x35x4.5 avg rectangle), Hayward 525 cartridge filter, diamondbrite, 2 hp 2 speed hayward tristar filter, Stenner 45mhp10 automatically chlorinating

  19. Back To Top    #19

    Re: BBB on a commercial pool?

    Quote Originally Posted by chem geek
    It depends on the algae nutrient levels (phosphates and nitrates) in the pool. It will probably stay cloudier longer as the CYA rises over time and may get visible algae at some point, but can't predict exactly when that will be.
    The CYA is over 200, with probably 60 people swimming over the course of a day, kids peeing in the pool etc. Right now it is clear in the morning and then cloudy in the afternoon. According to a paper I read, CYA reaches is maximum effectiveness around 70ppm and then doesnt get any worse. Does this mean that 200ppm is pretty much the same as 100ppm?
    17,800 gallon, IG pool, 595 sq feet (17x35x4.5 avg rectangle), Hayward 525 cartridge filter, diamondbrite, 2 hp 2 speed hayward tristar filter, Stenner 45mhp10 automatically chlorinating

  20. Back To Top    #20

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    332

    Re: BBB on a commercial pool?

    Quote Originally Posted by march2012
    The CYA is over 200, with probably 60 people swimming over the course of a day, kids peeing in the pool etc. Right now it is clear in the morning and then cloudy in the afternoon. According to a paper I read, CYA reaches is maximum effectiveness around 70ppm and then doesnt get any worse. Does this mean that 200ppm is pretty much the same as 100ppm?
    Good question. I always thought that the Chlorine baseline in a clean pool was around 7.5% of your CYA. Does that ratio hold true when we're talking about CYA in the 200 range? I don't know but those last test numbers you posted (25 ppm Chl/160 CYA) puts them at 15%
    Bill
    18'X4' 7600 Gal AG
    3/4 HP Pentair Pump
    Hayward S166T 100 lb sand filter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •