Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Where do you put the salt? Skimmer or pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Where do you put the salt? Skimmer or pool

My pool is new and my PB is out of town.

I have the Pentair IntelliChlor chlorine generator and it shows that I need salt.
    My PB putted on bag before on the skimmer but the person at Pinch-A-Penny said that this is wrong, could damage the filter and I should put the salt on the water.

Any advice?

Thanks!
    15x34 in ground, 16.5K gallons, Emerald Isle pebble finishing
    Pentair IntelliFlow VS-3050 pump
    Pentair Quad D.E. filter
    Pentair IntelliChlor
    Pentair IntelliBrite 5g LED light
    Pentair Great White Vacuum cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Where do you put the salt? Skimmer or pool

Dump it in pool and brush it around. Should dissolve in just a few minutes.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I put it in the skimmer—BUT it's a venturi-skimmer with the suction closed, so all it does is dissolve/blow out salt chunks. The in-floor cleaners take care of the rest.
    I laugh—to disguise the tears.
    Size 15,000 gal 510′² | Filtration DE 48′² | Sanitation SWG+O₃ | Placement in-ground (IG) | Finish pebble
    Pumps Intelliflo VS+SVRS main WhisperFlo WF-28 feature | Location Dallas TX US (33ºN 97ºW)

4. Back To Top    #4

Don't add salt to a normal skimmer.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Other than learning how to keep sparkly water, my favorite tip on TFP has been to add salt by dumping it on the floor of the pool, letting your little girls get in and dive down to it and let it sprinkle through their fingers, and scoop it up, and swim through it as it sinks back down -- looks like jewels on a sunny day. In fact, it is known as "Diamond Day" and each year we celebrate it! (by the way, Diamond Day is totally stolen from some other poster on this board -- thanks, whoever you are!)

edit: looked it up -- Anna K was the one who tipped me off to swimming with diamonds. She calls it "Salt Day" -- thank you Anna K, from my little princesses who beg for Diamond Day when we put the pool up now!
    POOL: Intex ultra new in 2014 (32 x 16 x 52) (seasonal; on concrete pad covered with 1.5" extruded or whatever foam insulation sheets - ugly, but comfy); added a through-wall skimmer; I add salt for feel. EQUIPMENT: Pentair SuperFlo pump (1HP, 2SPD); Pentair cartridge filter (200 sq. ft); Pentair MasterTemp natural gas heater (400,000 btu) Climate/Location: Eastern Nebraska

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks guys. I damped on the pool just to be safe.
    My PB showed up today and mentioned that what is supposed to be on the skimmers is the product for the DE filter.
    15x34 in ground, 16.5K gallons, Emerald Isle pebble finishing
    Pentair IntelliFlow VS-3050 pump
    Pentair Quad D.E. filter
    Pentair IntelliChlor
    Pentair IntelliBrite 5g LED light
    Pentair Great White Vacuum cleaner

7. Back To Top    #7

crek31: that is adorable.

I wonder if I can convince my daughter that Weekly Pool Brushing Day is fun...
    I laugh—to disguise the tears.
    Size 15,000 gal 510′² | Filtration DE 48′² | Sanitation SWG+O₃ | Placement in-ground (IG) | Finish pebble
    Pumps Intelliflo VS+SVRS main WhisperFlo WF-28 feature | Location Dallas TX US (33ºN 97ºW)