How to use Sand Bag(s) under ladder to raise it up

Lori

Jun 17, 2012
Hi!

First post, so don't know if I need to do anything special, but I have a question!

I have one of those ladders where the top part (handles) are attached (screwed down) to the deck over the edge of the pool. Then the steps part of the ladder slides up and into the the top part from in the pool. Problem is the pool is 52" high instead of standard 48", AND the top part sits on to of the deck which is another 5" high... SO, the steps part of the ladder doesn't go far enough up into the top part and comes out.. dangerous mainly because it could tear the liner!

I feel the best solution is a sand bag (or two?) underneath the bottom of the ladder... it'll stay put and it won't hurt the liner at the bottom. I've never seen/used sand bags, MY QUESTION IS, what kind of bag (material) do I get that won't let the sand through, and is there someplace I can buy ready made (filled) sand bags in various sizes and materials?

Thanks!!

I purchased a set of Mighty Steps like these: http://www.doheny.com/poolsupplies/Migh ... pool_steps

Although our pool is only 48 inches high and the deck is set even with the top rail we have a sand cove that is deeper and at more of an angle than these steps can handle. How we solved the problem was to take an step aerobics step, added the riser, and attached that to the bottom. Solved our problem and the steps are secure and steady. I am a large woman and can use the steps without problems and the grands have jumped from them and am happy with this set up.

Are the legs of the ladder that go inside the pool metal... or plastic/resin?

Is it that with the taller wall and the decking over the top rail, that the ladder is not tall enough?

Could you take a photo and post it?

poolgranny/techguy Re: SandBag(s) to raise pool ladder steps

Thanks for responding!
poolgranny: what do you mean "attach" to bottom?
techguy: yes, Problem is the pool is 52" high instead of standard 48", AND the top part sits on to of the deck which is another 5" high... SO, the steps part of the ladder doesn't go far enough up into the top part and comes out...
I think the quickest, easiest, safest and cheapest solution is a sandbag. Plus I can mold it to the slightly uneven bottom to really make the ladder level. Honestly the only problem I'm having is finding a quick, easy, cheap way/place to buy one LOL!

If the problem is what I am thinking it is...you need to shorten the part that attaches to the deck. Making these shorter will lower the bottom part of thre ladder to the pool floor. Place the ladder in the sockets, hold the ladder upright (vertical) and measure the distance from the bottom of the ladder to the pool floor. Cut that distance off of the end that attaches to the deck. The problem with doing sandbags is that every time someone steps on the ladder it will compress the sand and cause the bottom of the ladder to not be in contact with the sand bag

techguy/danpik Re: SandBag(s) to raise pool ladder steps

techguy, forgot to answer they are plastic/resin
danpik, it's the opposite problem, if I could make the part that attaches to the deck longer, or the step part of the ladder longer, I'd be ok.

If you look at the picture in the link the the Mighty steps have a 4 "feet" they set on. We took the steps out of the water, took the aerobics step (after drilling and cutting holes in it so that it would lessen the floatation of it) and screwed it on the to front "feet". We left enough space so that we could step on the aerobics step and then on to the pool step making it so that we have an extra step. Works perfectly for us and haven't encountered any issues with it so far.

Hope this helps someone else with a similar problem.

I guess I am not following you on this...Is the ladder the type that is in this picture?

100_0326.jpg

Or is it something like poolgranny linked to?

I am not sure of the ladder options but in my limited searching, most ladders will not accommodate a 52" wall+5" deck height.

Since the existing ladder is already 6 inches short, you are looking to have 11 inches of sand bag?

It almost seems easier to get a 52 inch ladder and modify the deck to add a step down from the main deck to the ladder area.

Now that I say that and I did a search at poolsupplyworld.com ...
eb100_01_325x325.jpg
ladder risers do exist for certain ladders.

... or get a 52 inch ladder that will accept these risers.

poolgranny/danpik/techguyRe:Sand Bag(s) under ladder to rais

To all: I think I can get a 60lb bag at HD for a few dollars and upt it in an addl' heavy plastic bag... won't be pretty!
poolgranny, excellent job! Mine won't look as good or be as permanent, but going for a cheaper, quicker, easier fix.
danpik, not exactly, going to try to post a pic or link, I don't know how so have to try to figure it out
techguy, only need about 3-5", the step part does fit into the top part, just not far enough to stay in when you step on it!
here's a very close comparison, i can't get the pic to copy & paste
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... BE&dur=278

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.