Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: FC is High, Water feels Hard.

1. Back To Top    #1

FC is High, Water feels Hard.

Water is pretty hard, hands feel almost sticky.

Using simple Aqua Check test strips, so Numbers might not be the best. (rough estimates below)
    Total Hardness -= 500
    TC = 4
    FC = 7.5
    PH = 6.8-7
    TA = 60
    CA = 0

Water is clean and clear. Heavy Algae this spring, so our pool guy recomended keeping the Chlorine high by using multiple tablets.

Im reading a bit here about NOT using Chlorine tablets in the skimmers, which I have been doing. (sometimes 6 at a time, 3 each skimmer, as was recomended.)

I'm going to through in some Baking Soda, and Borax to get PH and TA up. Any other suggestions welcome.
    LearnTheHardWay
    Size: 27k Gal.
    Filter: Cart (Pentair Clean & Clear p420)
    IG, Vinyl
    Pump: 1.5 HP
    FR: 150gpm

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: FC is High, Water feels Hard.

A good test kit would be a great investment.

Is the zero CA calcium hardness or stabilizer? Guessing it must be CH since you have been using tablets.

Hard to give advice without knowing stabilizer level.

No need to raise TA at this point.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: FC is High, Water feels Hard.

Quote Originally Posted by LearnTheHardWay
    Water is pretty hard, hands feel almost sticky.

Using simple Aqua Check test strips, so Numbers might not be the best. (rough estimates below)

I'm going to through in some Baking Soda, and Borax to get PH and TA up. Any other suggestions welcome.
    Before you spend any money on more chemicals, buy a test kit.

You've doubtless read here that we push the Taylor K-2006 or the TF100. In your case, even spending ten bucks on a drop-type pH and chlorine tester may save you that much in unneeded chemicals. I wouldn't trust the strips at all.

Try this: dip your strip and immediately check pH. Then look at it again in a minute. Then in 5 minutes. Then dip another and compare the newest one with the old one. Betcha they read different. Then do what comes naturally, set the wet strip on the color card. The surface tension will cause the samples to bleed into each other. Now what does the pH say?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!