Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Rigging up a simple vacuum

1. Back To Top    #1

Rigging up a simple vacuum

I picked up a vacuum head, a pole and a pool hose. I unscrewed the intake cover in the pool and found that when the pump is turned on, it suctions the hose very nicely, eliminating the project of modifying a plunger to suction to the wall over the intake cover. It works GREAT except I am wondering if it is bad to be sucking all the leaf debris directly to the pump. Does it eventually make its way to the "B" filter and I can just clean that thing off?
    12' x 36" Intex AGP on a raised concrete slab under a ramada in sunny Arizona. Borated, balanced, and beautiful blue.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Rigging up a simple vacuum

If you're going to do that you should buy a leaf canister to put inline.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Leaf litter will more than likely clog the"grate" of the opening going into the pump.

4. Back To Top    #4

Ah. I'll take it apart then. So maybe I can make a mesh "sock" that'll be fastened at the intake that I can pull out when I take the hose out after vacuuming? And by chance do you know if it's okay to run the filter/pump with the pool cover on.
    12' x 36" Intex AGP on a raised concrete slab under a ramada in sunny Arizona. Borated, balanced, and beautiful blue.

5. Back To Top    #5

I run my pump when I have the cover on. I am using a large round float to keep my cover from being pushed down when it rains.
    12"x33" Summer Escapes AG Ring Quick set 1590 Gallons (Gift for my son by Grand-parents)
    Intex Krystal Clear Model 633 2500 GPH "B" Cartridge