Please review my plumbing diagram

kyle11

May 17, 2012
1st of all sorry I am a horrible drawer and have even worse hand writing. Hopefully you can understand this.

I want to know if this would be the best way to plumb my pool. It will be automated and has 2 spa jets in stairs and some in the cozy cove with 3 returns looped.

2 1/2" straight runs from drain and skimmer thru filter and to return line 3 way valve. Then 2" to returns and jets.

Thanks!
[attachment=0:2xin48np]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339916381.111254.jpg[/attachment:2xin48np]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339916359.825990.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339916359.825990.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 321
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339916381.111254.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339916381.111254.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 321
I see no reason to actuate the suction valve really.

Also would recommend using jandy type valves instead of the ball valves on the spa and cove jets.

Use the money saved on the second actuator to get the better valves.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

Ok thanks jblizzle. What about check valves? I do not know the exact location I am putting the equipment pad but it will probably be a foot or 2 below water level. Do I need checks anywhere in the system? What about if it is slightly above water level?

You don't normally need any check valves in the system. If the pump is significantly above pool level it is nice to have a check valve down near water level on the suction line. Also if you have a tablet feeder or SWG that is relatively close to the heater (less than 3' of pipe for a SWG, less than 5' for a tablet feeder) you will want a check valve between the heater and feeder/SWG.

We have decided to add some deck jets so I changed up my plumbing plan a little. Which one of these 2 would work the best or would they both be the same, just a matter of preference?
[attachment=1:y8w3tb9l]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340038267.000247.jpg[/attachment:y8w3tb9l]
[attachment=0:y8w3tb9l]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340038288.476019.jpg[/attachment:y8w3tb9l]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340038267.000247.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340038267.000247.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 230
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340038288.476019.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340038288.476019.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 231
You need to think about what you want to be actuated ... especially if you are going to have a remote. I do not think that it is a straight forward if you want to be able to remotely turn on and off deck jets and the spa returns separately.

Also be careful how you orient the 3-ways. It is normal for the main input/output to be on the center and the options out the sides. This allow you to mix the 2 options, but does not allow you to turn off both unless you modify the valve stops.

I am not sure your last option would work how you think it would with the 3-ways in the orientation you show.

In your 2nd option, there would be no way to turn off the spa/step returns.

I think what you would want is the 3rd options with the 3-way orientation adjusted. Then you would be able to actuate the 1st on to select normal returns or deck/spa. There may be a way to also add another actuator to select between deck and spa, but I am not 100% how that would be programmed.

jblizzle said:
You need to think about what you want to be actuated ... especially if you are going to have a remote. I do not think that it is a straight forward if you want to be able to remotely turn on and off deck jets and the spa returns separately.

Also be careful how you orient the 3-ways. It is normal for the main input/output to be on the center and the options out the sides. This allow you to mix the 2 options, but does not allow you to turn off both unless you modify the valve stops.

I am not sure your last option would work how you think it would with the 3-ways in the orientation you show.

In your 2nd option, there would be no way to turn off the spa/step returns.

I think what you would want is the 3rd options with the 3-way orientation adjusted. Then you would be able to actuate the 1st on to select normal returns or deck/spa. There may be a way to also add another actuator to select between deck and spa, but I am not 100% how that would be programmed.

Your right about the orientation of the valves, didn't even think about that. Ok I think I have it now though. I think this one is a winner and will give me control over everything. Then I can just use 2 actuators still and have full control like in my 1st plan.

[attachment=0:2hrcxtt7]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340052068.192187.jpg[/attachment:2hrcxtt7]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340052068.192187.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340052068.192187.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 211
This setup always has two or more destinations active. There is no way to run water to only one place. 3 way valves send water one way, the other way, or some combination of both. They can't be completely blocked off unless you break off the stops that prevent the handle from turning to that position.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, with that setup you do not have the ability to put all the water to return/desk or step/cove side. The 3-way typically do not allow you to close the middle port (unless you modify the stops somehow). You will always have water going to at least 2 of your return pipes.

I think you need another 3-way at the Tee ... or your deckjets or spa returns may not be able to get enough water to a single return pipe.

Ok thanks jblizzle and Jason. I think your right I need another 3way in place of a T fitting. Man gotta love this forum. If it wasn't for y'all I would have been trying to figure this stuff out in the dead heat of summer in the south. My office feels much better. :)

I am just not exactly sure how the automation will work. For example, pushing a button for deck jets may require moving 2 valves depending on the current orientation.

It may just require 2 button pushes. Push one to pick normal/deck jet. Then push a second to select deck jet. Although I guess some systems have macro buttons that you can set up that I guess would be able to turn both with 1 button push.

jblizzle said:
I am just not exactly sure how the automation will work. For example, pushing a button for deck jets may require moving 2 valves depending on the current orientation.

It may just require 2 button pushes. Push one to pick normal/deck jet. Then push a second to select deck jet. Although I guess some systems have macro buttons that you can set up that I guess would be able to turn both with 1 button push.

I am hoping I can set it up for the 1st valve actuator to select return/deck jets or step jets/cozy cove jets. Then valve 2 select between return or deck jets. Then return 3 select step jets or cozy cove jets. I have not read the programming of the aqua plus yet, just the installation manual, so I am not for sure how that would work.

The aqua plus only will control 3 valves ... and unfortunately valve 1 and 2 are slaved together for the suction & return valves between a pool and spa. This is STUPID as the aqua plus and the pro logic P4 are said to be for a single setup. You can setup for valves 1 & 2 to work separately, but they have to be wired through 2 of the 4 relays ... which then as I understand leaves you with 2 relays for the rest of your equipment (pump, lights, etc).

The Pro Logic PS4 adds a 4th valve control, so you could use Valve 1, 3 and 4 to do what you want and Valve 2 would be slaved to V1 and not be used.

I think I understand this correctly (very hard to get info on this stuff from Hayward). Bottom line, I am not sure you are going to be able to control 3 valves separately.

jblizzle said:
The aqua plus only will control 3 valves ... and unfortunately valve 1 and 2 are slaved together for the suction & return valves between a pool and spa. This is STUPID as the aqua plus and the pro logic P4 are said to be for a single setup. You can setup for valves 1 & 2 to work separately, but they have to be wired through 2 of the 4 relays ... which then as I understand leaves you with 2 relays for the rest of your equipment (pump, lights, etc).

The Pro Logic PS4 adds a 4th valve control, so you could use Valve 1, 3 and 4 to do what you want and Valve 2 would be slaved to V1 and not be used.

I think I understand this correctly (very hard to get info on this stuff from Hayward). Bottom line, I am not sure you are going to be able to control 3 valves separately.

So if I am understanding you correctly I can control all 3 valves on the return side but have to give up 2 relays? If that's the case that may be a problem because I want it to control a 2 speed pump also which would take up the last 2 and leave none for a pool and landscaping lights. Man just when I think I got it figured out I get knocked back to square 1. Is there any other system that will control all this plus a 2 speed tristar pump?

Your understanding is what I think I understand. But I have no hands on experience. I gave just been researching what I want.

Personally I see no reason to actuate all three valves.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

Thanks for the help! I guess I am going to order the aqua plus and if I have to move a few valves manually then that will be fine. I am ready to get this show on the road but the dig is still 2-3 weeks away.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.