Adding muriatic acid

Personally, I would take a 5 gal bucket, fill with twice the amount of pool water (or at least a 1/4th full).
Using an old plastic handle, slowly add the acid to water while mixing. This dilution may get warm... so do this very slowly!
Then slowly poor this dilution into the pool in front of the return.

Safety:
- it is important: ALLWAYS, ALLWAYS, add acid TO the water (think alphabet... A to W). It is a safety thing. Should you get splashed while adding the acid to the water, you are more likely to get water or more dilute acid on you rather than the concentrated acid.

-DO NOT GET THE CONCENTRATE ON YOUR SKIN! It WILL burn you. Keep some clean water close by so that if you do get some on you, you can rinse it off fairly quickly.... having the hose next to you is a good idea. Also, although not usually stated, having some baking soda next to you to put on the contact point after rinsing is a good idea... just for small burns.

-wc

Good Morning schertzy82:

I also use a 5-gallon bucket to dilute the MA with water before adding to the pool. I then walk it around the pool while emptying the bucket, focusing on pouring much of it into the stream of water coming out from the return lines. This avoids the risk of a concentrated slug of acid in any one spot. Pump should be on when adding this (or any) chemical.

wetchem said:
it is important: ALLWAYS, ALLWAYS, add acid TO the water (think alphabet... A to W). It is a safety thing. Should you get splashed while adding the acid to the water, you are more likely to get water or more dilute acid on you rather than the concentrated acid.
Repeating wetchem's quote for emphasis. Very important advice!

Diluting the acid beforehand increases the (small) risk. It is best to pour the acid directly into the pool in front of a return jet while the pump is running. You do not want to pour acid around the edge of the pool as that will reduce the rate at which it mixes. Pouring in front of a running return jet makes sure that the jet will mix everything as quickly as possible.

In any case adding acid to the pool will not affect the SWG. Just be sure not to add acid to the skimmer, which could cause problems.

• Love
Reactions: kim1006
I should have mentioned the fumes... :oops:
If you pre-dilute (do this outside) or if you add it as JasonLion mentions... keep out of the fumes.

I have a pair of the heavier chemical gloves... purchased them at the local mom&pop hardware store for like $10. Not the really heavy thick stuff; however, they come 3/4 way up to my elbows and have enough flexability to open bottles etc without tearing. The store doesn't have a website however something like this at Menards, Ace, or your local M&P:
http://www.menards.com/main/housewa...-natl-rubber-glove-large/p-1393558-c-7083.htm would be a good investment in your hands. You could use the disposables; however, I've never found an over the counter brand that goes much over your wrist (well, at least that would also go over my big hands too).

The main reason I would (and will) use the pre-dilution is I have a smaller vinyl liner AGP with a single small return.

I also second JasonLion's statement to keep the concentrated stuff out of your strainers/pump-plumbing. It will get hot when added to water, it will eat exposed metal, it can attack certain plastics, and it will make a bad day worse. :cry:

-wc

Will modify my approach to pour all of the MA directly into the pool in front of a return jet (while the pump is running, of course).

One detail I forgot to add to my post is that I give the MA/water mix one or two stirs around the bucket immediately before adding to the pool and I do the mixing outside.

BoDarville said:
I also use a 5-gallon bucket to dilute the MA with water before adding to the pool...This avoids the risk of a concentrated slug of acid in any one spot.
JasonLion said:
Diluting the acid beforehand increases the (small) risk
Jason, am I correctly interpreting your comments as meaning that diluting the MA in water immediately before adding to the pool increases the risk of a concentrated slug? If so, I’m curious to learn a bit more as to why that’s the case. Just seems counter-intuitive that a diluted mixture poured immediately after mixing can increase the risk of a concentrated slug. Nevertheless, I’m always open to tweaking my methods based on continuous learning.

Any replies are much obliged :)

• Love
Reactions: kim1006
I think the risk he referred to was bodily harm ... you are handling it more.

If you lower the bottle into the pool and pour slowly with the opening just over the water surface in front of a return, there us virtually no chance of splashing.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

Always stand upwind when pouring muriatic acid. Here in Florida when the humidity is high you can see the acid in the bottle interacting with the humidity in the air. I've gotten hit with a whiff and it isn't pretty, it definitely irritates the mucus membranes.
So stand up wind of the bottle.
Squat down in front of the return get the bottle low, so you don't splash the acid. I use a Solo cup to measure out the MA, then pour it into the pool. I do it right near the ledge and try to say up wind.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Many dollar stores (in my case Big Lots) sell large (2.5 cup capacity) plastic measuring cups, with large, comfortable handles.

With the acid container and measuring cup near pool edge and above a return jet, I spill 2 measuring cups of pool water on the coping. With the measuring cup sitting in the created puddle, the required amount of acid is poured into the cup and then lowered just above the water surface and into the return jet stream. When done, I rinse the cup in the pool water and store it upside down, on top of the acid gallon container.

I use the same procedure to add bleach, without creating the puddle to protect the coping.

Regards,
-Gary

I went to a restaurant supply store and purchased some nice Lexan measuring pitchers. I got two of them. The large one that is 64 ounces. The outside is marked in cups and ounces (as well as metric). The smaller one is two cups in size. It is marked in cups and ounces as well as metric. The marks on both are raised on the outside so they can not "wash off".

Reactions: the_garz
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.