Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Min time for OCLT

1. Back To Top    #1

Min time for OCLT

Is there a min period of time for the OCLT? I tried to do the test last night. I set my alarm for 5 am, which is dawn,and woke up with no memory of my alarm having gone off at all. I did the test then and FC had dropped 3.5.

I kept the pool at shock level today and took a sample at 9:30 pm. I'm going to try to get up at 5 to try again, but I am not hopeful. DH has narcolepsy and I have sleep apnea, so walking up is not our strong suit. If I test now (3.5 hours after the starting point) will any useful information be gained.
    19,000 gallons, Well Water
    Stay-Rite System 3 Cartridge filter
    IG vinyl, MasterTemp 400 Propane heater
    Intellichlor 40 SWG, 2006 Taylor Test Kit with Speed Stirrer
    1.5 HP Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Min time for OCLT

If you lose FC in 3.5 hours without sunlight on it, it will tell you that you'll lose a lot more before sunrise.

If you don't lose anything, it doesn't mean that you won't lose anything before the sun hits the water, only that it's not enough to measure yet.

PS: If you lost a bunch of FC, you can get a jump start on the shock process by dumping the bleach in tonight, so it has several hours to work on the algae before the sun starts degrading it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Headed out to test chlorine. <yawn>
    1.5 HP Pump

4. Back To Top    #4

The point of the test is to eliminate sunlight as one potential source of chlorine loss. If your pool has only received a couple hours of early morning sun - that is not going to throw the test way off. Put another way - testing at 6.30am should yield a valid result. If it was later in the day (full sun) it will throw the test off by some unknown amount.

It sounds like you did the test in the morning and had lost 3.5ppm (which is a lot) - so you still need to shock.

I wouldn't stress too much setting an alarm for the morning. Keep shocking and testing - at some point you will see your overnight chlorine loss drop off.
    16K Gal Plaster | Compupool SWG | Intelliflow VF | TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

lightningguy brings up a good point, so if the sun hadn't spent much time on the pool before you did your test yesterday, then you definitely need to shock.

Post your 3.5 hour test, if you are still awake.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

6. Back To Top    #6

I did shock all day.

Results from 9:30
    FC. 14.5
    CC 0
    pH 7.8
    TA 95
    cYA 40. (working on getting that up)

Test at 1:15 am
    FC 14.5
    CC 0
    1.5 HP Pump

7. Back To Top    #7

Well test again in the morning when you get up and lets see where you are.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

8. Back To Top    #8

At 10 this morning, FC was 14, cc was 0. Passed. Yay.

just Added 2 lbs more cya now.
    1.5 HP Pump

9. Back To Top    #9

You have mentioned that you have passed two of the criteria, what about the third, is your water crystal clear?

10. Back To Top    #10

Yes, it is.
    1.5 HP Pump

11. Back To Top    #11

Excellant, nice job now go do some swimming

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by linen
    Excellant, nice job now go do some swimming
    Does the FC need to drop to 10ppm first or can the pool be used as is?
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

13. Back To Top    #13

Our recommendation for swimming is when the FC is below shock level, so for 40 ppm cya, that would be below 15ppm (per poolcalculator).