Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Easiest Low Maintenance Hot Tub Care

1. Back To Top    #1

Pelham Alabama (Birmingham)

Easiest Low Maintenance Hot Tub Care

Hello all,

I've have a hot tub for a few years now, and I've had issues with water chemistry ever since. I've used this forum to learn TONS on pool care, now it's time to change to learning proper hot tub care. I really don't have the time for "daily" hot tub care. I'm looking for advice and tips on the easiest and most convenient form of hot tub care.

My hot tub is in the 500 gallon range, and generally gets low use. But when mamma (the wife) wants it, she wants it (the hot tub). I am keeping the tub water clear, but I do usually have the white flakes in the bottom. Not lots, but some. I current use the Baqua Spa stuff that Rec Warehouse sells, but I buy it cheaper elsewhere. So, back to my question, what is the easiest most convenient hot tub water chemistry practice. And, I am more concerned with convenience than cost (within reason). I have read a little on the Spa Pilot by Auto Pilot. Good, bad, maybe?? Other ideas? I know situations and opinions vary, but I need a little help.

Any suggestions or tips is greatly appreciated.

Mister Mister
    IG 18 x 36 Vinyl
    30,000 Gallons
    AutoPilot SWG
    Aquabot T2
    Hayward S244 Sand Filter
    Hayward 1hp RS1000 Pump
    Leisure Bay Spa - Flores - 500 Gallons
    AutoPilot SpaPilot - Not Yet Installed

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD
    Bromine spas are fairly easy to take care of, see waterbears post on managing bromine with a spa. The Spa Pilot might also be a good choice, but I haven't heard from anyone who actually has one yet.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    If you don't want to deal with the tub on a daily basis then use a three step bromine system.

4. Back To Top    #4

Mesa, AZ

Re: Easiest Low Maintenance Hot Tub Care

I have had a Spa-Pilot for about 4 months now. It does what it says. Now that I have it set, I can gor for several days or even a week at a time without touching the spa. I add a little KMPS before and/or after each use (about 1 tbsp/person hour) It has been very very nice. I'm about to do my 1st water change, but the water always looks great and the chlorine level is very stable.
    Chris W

My Pool: 14K gal IG, Pebblesheen, Pentair 420 Cart Filter, Autopilot Digital SWCG, Paramount PV3 In-floor cleaning. UltraPure Ozone
    My Spa: 2007 Down East Windsor SE, Spa-Pilot SWCG :)
    My Kit: PS-234 w/salt test, Refills from Taylor and TFkits