Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How much DE?

1. Back To Top    #1

How much DE?

Never did a backwash myself. Taking over from my pool service in a week or two. Have a 48' DE filter, says it takes 4.8# or 10 coffee cans. I don't drink coffee.... Pool School says add 80%, so about 4#, after each backwash. Does 4# translate to "cups"? The previous owner left a 2 cup measure in the DE bag. I may just bring home a 10# scale from work and weigh 4# worth... I could see DE having different densities depending on humidity.
    IG pebble, 15,000 gallon
    48 PentAir DE Filter with backwash valve
    PentAir Whisperflo pump with 1hp 2-speed motor
    Aquabot 4WD, Poolskim
    Intermatic Dual Timeclock with freezeguard
    DIY chlorine feed
    BBB

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How much DE?

DE has a bulk density of about 20 pounds per cubic foot. 4.8 pounds of DE will have a volume of about 0.24 cubic feet (230 fluid ounces, 7.18 quarts or 1.8 gallons).

4 pounds = about 24 cups.

Also, note that most pool stores sell a 1 pound DE scoop (about 48 ounces).

3. Back To Top    #3

Do you have the DE yet? You might consider switching to fibreclear or some competitor's cellulose product. They come with a measure in the bag.

And... you may want to go a little beyond a backwash. It's actually not all that difficult to take apart, especially if you are "handy". I have some pictures of how much DE was stuck to my grids after backwashing in this thread.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

DE is "diatomite EP-300" (by EP Minerals), have about 20# left. Pool stays very clear, why use something finer that just requires more frequent backwashes and costs more?
    IG pebble, 15,000 gallon
    Aquabot 4WD, Poolskim
    DIY chlorine feed
    BBB

5. Back To Top    #5

Some people have concerns about releasing DE into the waste stream, the substitutes tend to be made from cellulose and is considered more biodegradable. One word of caution about DE, it is an inhalation hazard, wear a good dust mask when handling, this stuff is like baby powder and will form clouds if there is any wind blowing.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

6. Back To Top    #6

I am required to add 6 lbs of DE to my freshly cleaned filters. I have a 24 ounce scoop naturally I'd think I'd need to add 96 total oz (4scoops). unfortunately I'm not sure that is correct. I have a bathroom scale but I don't exactly trust it. Help please!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by jasonbcvt View Post
    I am required to add 6 lbs of DE to my freshly cleaned filters. I have a 24 ounce scoop naturally I'd think I'd need to add 96 total oz (4scoops). unfortunately I'm not sure that is correct. I have a bathroom scale but I don't exactly trust it. Help please!
    If you have a DE scoop, just use it and don't worry about it. Millions of people use them successfully. Also remember that if it's just after a backwash and not a full teardown and cleaning, you only want about 80% of the DE charge.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

I switched to zeofiber a year ago and haven't looked back. Just takes 12 cups and washes off the filters much easier. I just washed my filters without taking them out! Just removed top plate and hosed them down. DE never came off easily. Pool is just as clear if not clearer. So I just backwash for a minute, remove cover and top plate, and clean in place. That way don't have to wonder how much crud stayed behind.

IG pebble, 15,000 gallon
    Aquabot 4WD, Poolskim
    DIY chlorine feed
    BBB