Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Algae problem after using solar cover, need help

1. Back To Top    #1

Algae problem after using solar cover, need help

Hi guys,

So a week I purchased a solar blanket, before putting it, my water was in balance everything was crystal clear, after a few days of using my solar cover, my pool has what I think is a algae forming at the bottom so 2 days ago I brushed everything turned up the chlorine, cleaned the filter, andthings look a little better but a day later the algae comes back and water, so I retested the water with my cheap home test, ph was almost at 8 and chlorine was at around 7 or 8, so this morning I've put some acid to lower the ph, now the ph is back to 7.6 and chlorine still around 7 or 8 (Ive been super chlorinating the pool according to the swg setting) so now 12 hours has gone by and I can see the algae coming back again arghhh. Tomorrow I will go to the pool store to get the full test result and report back to you guys,

Any advice you can give at this point would be really appreciated

Thanks

18 foot agp, swg, cartridge filter

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Algae problem after using solar cover, need help

Hi and welcome. If you want to take control of your pool:

1. Read Pool School
    2. Get yourself a good teats kit (TF100 would be the first choice)
    3. Stay out of pool stores
    4. Read Pool School again.

Getting rid of algae means shocking the pool. Shock is a process that takes time. You don't shock by changing the setting on your SWG. Spend a little time reading articles on the forum.

You can start with http://www.troublefreepool.com/turni...sis-t4147.html
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

After you read pool school and figure out HOW to shock---------you won't even use the SWCG during the process.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

^^^ Yep, what chief & woody said ^^^
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

I just read through the link provided, which seems like its for more extreme cases, I only have a little algae forming at the bottom of my pool, I guess I thought that by putting the swg to high it would kill of the algae.

So basically I have to go through the shock process right?

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Without knowing what your FC and CC are its hard to know what is going on in your pool. That's where a good test kit comes in. If your CC isn't .5 or less, then you know that you need to shock. There is really no such thing as a little algae. If you have any algae and you don't have the chlorine levels up to shock level, it is growing and multiplying faster than you can kill it. Things spiral out of control very quickly.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Yeah in your case, hopefully it will go fast. The beauty of the shocking process is that it basically the same for all algae issues, how it differs is how long it takes (there are a few exceptions like Mustard Algae).

Here is the link to the shocking process, it is more concise than the link you posted: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...king_your_pool
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

8. Back To Top    #8

Hi guys, thanks for your help so far,

I have a quick question on the shocking process, now according to the chart, I would have to bring my FC to 24 to shock. If I have a very very minimal amount of algae, just a slight greenish tint around the drain, can I do a sort of half way shock, say bring the fc to 12, would that still be effective,

The reason I ask is cause the last time I shocked to 24 it took about 4 days for the fc to come back down to 3, and I just want my kids to be able to use the pool as soon as possible..

Thanks

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

can I do a sort of half way shock, say bring the fc to 12, would that still be effective,
    I wouldn't do that, good chance you will get a half-way result.

Additionally it is safe to swim in pools that contain FC just slightly less than shock level so there's no real restriction.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

You can use the pool up to and including shock level.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ

11. Back To Top    #11

Really, didn't know that, is it the safe for young kids as well?