Do something or just wait

Bobswe

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 12, 2012
Cinnaminson NJ
Did aa treatment yesterday and added 2 quarts proteams metal magic. Pool clear and stain free this afternoon so i added algaeside as treatment suggests. Pool went cloudy in minutes. Here are my latest test results with my tf-100:
Chlorine all 0 (due to aa treatment)
Ph raised to 7.2 as of half hr ago
Cya 40
Akl 180
I know I can't do too much with chlorine so close to the aa treatment but i will keep pucks in skimmer. But as far as the super cloudy pool I should what? Just run filter? When should I start adding some Dichlor a little bit at a time. This is why alot of people don't test water when it looks good, I know I needed to add algaeside but in hindsight wouldn't have if I would have seen these results. Just run filter or throw in some clarifier? I don't know what to do.

Thanks. How many days until i can start bringing up chlorine levels after aa treatment. Would I be safe to start adding a half lb of Dichlor every hr for several hrs a night starting tomorrow? If I do 2-3 lbs a night over several nights do u think ot would be too fast?

First, I suggest you do not use dichlor because your CYA is already 40, which is pretty much perfect for now.

Also, based on your CYA of 40, I suggest you add about 3 or 4 ppm FC using bleach/liquid chlorine. After the addition, circ about half an hour, retest and adjust back to 3 or 4 ppm FC. I don't know how many bleach/liquid chlorine additions/applications it will take to 'ease' into the FC level, but you don't want to overshoot the FC and cause a problem with the metals wanting to rear their ugly heads again.

As you slowly raise the chlorine, watch for stains starting to form. If you see stains, make sure the ph is no higher than 7.2, and add more sequestering agent.

Bobswe said:
So are you reccomending the household bleach at 6 percent which would be 131 oz to raise fc to 3ppm. Where would I get liquid chlorine, pool store?
Absolutely I recommend household bleach - it is the first "B" in the "BBB" method :-D Clorox is the best, imho. Make sure it's plain and not scented.

And yes, I get 131 oz 6% bleach to increase FC by 3ppm in your 21K gallon pool. :goodjob:

ETA: yep, get liquid chlorine at pool store and sometimes big box stores, etc.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you, I'm going to use bleach tomorrow night. Will use a little at a time, or should I dump the whole 141 oz in at once? And then keep testing. This should eat up some aa, and raise fc level without added cya? Thank u again for your time and expertise.

Bobswe said:
Thank you, I'm going to use bleach tomorrow night.
Why are you waiting until tomorrow night? You can start about 24 hours after the AA treatment.

Will use a little at a time, or should I dump the whole 141 oz in at once? And then keep testing.
You can add the whole 131 ozs., however, pour it very slowly in front of a deep end return. Maybe take a couple minutes for the pour. Wait about half an hour with pump running and retest. Add more bleach, same way as before, and try to reach 3 or 4 ppm. Keep at it until the FC starts holding.

This should eat up some aa, and raise fc level without added cya?
Yes, exactly correct :goodjob:
Thank u again for your time and expertise.
Glad to help. :)

Ongoing question

Merged threads to provide history to help responders. Butterfly

I'm almost there. I've received excellent advice and think I'm on the right path. Its been 48 hours since my aa treatment and 2 quarts of proteams metal magic. I used 2 lbs of aa and 1.5 lbs of vitamin c. The pool is blue and clean liner but water very cloudy after I addded Algaeside yesterday.
My numbers are as follows
Chlorine 0
CYA 40
PH 7.2
TA 160
Although I normally use Dichlor to bring up chlorine level. I'm heading the advice of many that the Dichlor needed would escalate the CYA too high therefore I will be starting the bleach method tonight when the sun is off the pool. The pool calculator says I will need 131 oz of clorox bleach 6% too raise the FC from 0 to 3. I also know that I need to add this amount slowly over several minutes if not even a little slower. My main concern is that I know with the amount of ascorbic acid and vitamin c I used a few days ago will eat this up fast and I need to keep testing every hr and adding more bleach until the FC level holds at 3-4 ppm. But how many hrs and how much clorox bleach should I expect to use? If unsure and I stop a few hrs into it and restart tomorrow night would that still work. Hopefully I can get it to rise a little tonight.

Also, I was about to start and did a chlorine reading test and got .05 for fc and it read 1-2 on the blue box basic test kit. I've only had trichlor tabs in for past couple days. Should I go ahead and try to raise the free chlorine with the same 131 oz of Clorox? I know the goal is a 3-4 ppm reading but would be lying if I didn't say I was afraid to over do it.

Bobswe said:
Also, I was about to start and did a chlorine reading test and got .05 for cc was 4 and tc was 4.5 and it read 1-2 on the blue box basic test kit. Do these sound right? I've only had trichlor tabs in for past couple days. Should I go ahead and try to raise the free chlorine with the same 131 oz of Clorox? I know the goal is a 3-4 ppm reading but would be lying if I didn't say I was afraid to over do it.

Hey Bob, I suggest you use the FAS/DPD test and forget the blue box OTO test for now. As long as you have that much CC , you are gonna' use up some bleach/liquid chlorine before the FC will hold.

If you feel concerned about a 4 FC, shoot for 3 FC, but keep at it. Keep adding and filtering and testing until you get the 3 or 4 FC to hold.

If you don't soon get the FC to 3, which is the minimum for the CYA of 40, you will start having other problems, like algae. :(

Let's keep all posts concerning the AA treatment and balancing the water in this thread. It will help us help you :wink:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.