Water loss whats normal?

May 23, 2012
Hi, first time pool owner, we opened the pool back in May and topped it off since then it has lost about 2 inches of water. Is this normal evaporation? Its been exactly a month since opening. Sorry if this has been covered, I tried searching but found nothing.

There really is no standard water loss rate since it all depends on temperatures and humidity. But two inches of loss in a month isn't much at all.

Here in Phoenix, I was losing 1-2 a week in the middle of summer. Now that I fixed my autofill, I never see the loss. Not sure where you are located but 2 inches since May does not seem like much.

Just an update, I've still been loosing about an inch or more a night. Pool service came out to replace my three way valve and took a quick look found a return plate was cracked. They replaced it but I'm still losing water. I think its coming from somewhere in the skimmer line since when it is on skimmer only it is creating a lot of air bubbles in the filter housing. Could it be the skimmer housing itself? what else can I look for?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The test i did was kind of inconclusive. The dye swirled around the skimmer housing and didn't seem to get sucked in anywhere. I felt around the housing and noticed what appeared to be a crack. I circled it in red here:
k551c.jpg

Is this a common leak area or am I missing something else?

I have the opposite problem, I seem to gain about half inch per day. I have an auto-fill valve, but even when it appears to be full (I actually ratcheted it down a half inch), water seems to keep rising (but does stop about 2" above where I think it should be). I turned off the valve 2 days ago and have not gained or lost anything in 2 days. About 320 sq ft (10K gallons). Well shaded.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.