Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water loss whats normal?

1. Back To Top    #1

Water loss whats normal?

Hi, first time pool owner, we opened the pool back in May and topped it off since then it has lost about 2 inches of water. Is this normal evaporation? Its been exactly a month since opening. Sorry if this has been covered, I tried searching but found nothing.
    15k gallon 17x27 in ground vinyl, 1hp hayward superpump, hayward perflex ec65

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water loss whats normal?

There really is no standard water loss rate since it all depends on temperatures and humidity. But two inches of loss in a month isn't much at all.

3. Back To Top    #3

I'd settle for 2 inches per month!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm losing on average about an inch a day, from a relatively small pool.

Gotta love that Vegas heat!
    6000gal IG gunite // Hayward cartridge filter // rooftop solar heater // 32ppm borates
    Only two chemicals go in my pool! - bleach and muriatic acid!

5. Back To Top    #5

Here in Phoenix, I was losing 1-2 a week in the middle of summer. Now that I fixed my autofill, I never see the loss. Not sure where you are located but 2 inches since May does not seem like much.
    10,000gallon, IG Pebble Tec, Pentair Intelliflo VS+SVRS 3hp Variable Speed Pump
    Hayward Cart Filter C4025, Hayward Pool Vac Ultra, 1 vac line, 1 skimmer, 2 Main Drain, 3 returns, 2" plumbing
    TF100 Test Kit.

6. Back To Top    #6

Here in Norhtwest Indiana, near Chicago, I have been losing about 1/4 to 1/2 in a day due to no rain, cool evenings and wind..........
    16 x 34 inground vinyl pool
    Hayward 1 hp super pump
    200s Hayward Sand filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by DeeMac
    Here in Norhtwest Indiana, near Chicago, I have been losing about 1/4 to 1/2 in a day due to no rain, cool evenings and wind..........
    Far north suburbs of Chicago, and I'm looking at about the same. Finally, some rain tonight....
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

8. Back To Top    #8

Also I'm in New York, thanks for the info everyone.

9. Back To Top    #9

Just an update, I've still been loosing about an inch or more a night. Pool service came out to replace my three way valve and took a quick look found a return plate was cracked. They replaced it but I'm still losing water. I think its coming from somewhere in the skimmer line since when it is on skimmer only it is creating a lot of air bubbles in the filter housing. Could it be the skimmer housing itself? what else can I look for?

10. Back To Top    #10

Skimmer leaks are probably the most common. You can use leak detection dye to see where the leak is. You just run it along the edge until you see the dye running into the side of the pool.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

11. Back To Top    #11

Ok, thanks a lot I'll run up to the pool store tomorrow and grab some dye see what I can find.

12. Back To Top    #12

The test i did was kind of inconclusive. The dye swirled around the skimmer housing and didn't seem to get sucked in anywhere. I felt around the housing and noticed what appeared to be a crack. I circled it in red here:

Is this a common leak area or am I missing something else?

13. Back To Top    #13

Between the kids and the 100F days, 1-2 inches every week or two is normal at my place.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

14. Back To Top    #14

Right now I'm at about an inch per night, and I'm in upstate NY. Its been hot but not that hot for the past week and a half or so.

15. Back To Top    #15

I have the opposite problem, I seem to gain about half inch per day. I have an auto-fill valve, but even when it appears to be full (I actually ratcheted it down a half inch), water seems to keep rising (but does stop about 2" above where I think it should be). I turned off the valve 2 days ago and have not gained or lost anything in 2 days. About 320 sq ft (10K gallons). Well shaded.
    IG pebble, 15,000 gallon
    48 PentAir DE Filter with backwash valve
    PentAir Whisperflo pump with 1hp 2-speed motor
    Aquabot 4WD, Poolskim
    Intermatic Dual Timeclock with freezeguard
    DIY chlorine feed
    BBB