Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Skimmer Question(s)

1. Back To Top    #1

Skimmer Question(s)

Moved into new house, not sure if skimmer is working as well as it could. Water level is about halfway up skimmer opening, not much gets sucked in. I have 2 drains that go to pump (one shut off), and the skimmer (other shut off). Should I shut the drain pipe so all is getting pulled through the skimmer line (so it sucks more)? I could reset auto pool fill to an inch lower. What's the best approach? Skimmer (below basket) has 2 holes/pipes, one covered with that's covered with a rotatable plate. What do they do?

Our neighborhood association mows around the pool and outside the fence, blowing grass into pool once a week. Takes "forever" for it to get skimmed off. Also big oak that drops a few leaves daily.
    IG pebble, 15,000 gallon
    48” PentAir DE Filter with backwash valve
    PentAir Whisperflo pump with 1hp 2-speed motor
    Aquabot 4WD, Poolskim
    Intermatic Dual Timeclock with freezeguard
    DIY chlorine feed
    BBB

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Skimmer Question(s)

I think that if you lowered the water level a bit, you would get better skimming action than you currently are.

3. Back To Top    #3

Is there a door (weir) on the skimmer entrance?

One if the holes in the skimmer goes to the pump the other typically goes to the floor drain or sometimes and equalizer in the wall.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

No door, just fairly large opening (maybe 6" tall x 16" wide x 18" to the center of the basket).
    The cover is 100% covering one hole. The other is "sucking", just looks like it's not doing much (debris is not swirling or getting sucked downward)
    I think I'll drop the water level an inch and see if it does better.
    Closing the 3" ine to the drain (at the pump) won't damage the pump will it? Still has a 3" line to the skimmer.
    IG pebble, 15,000 gallon
    Aquabot 4WD, Poolskim
    DIY chlorine feed
    BBB

5. Back To Top    #5

Need to add the weir to keep the debris from floating back out ... greatly helps the skimming action.

There are some that have spring loaded pins to hold the door on place.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

I second the need for the weir, it also increases the local surface flow velocity so that surface debris further into the pool will get pulled into skimmer...resulting in much more effective surface skimming.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

7. Back To Top    #7

Where to buy a pool weir that is 18" wide? I searched a little and it seems 12" is the widest I found. I am handy, any DIY instructions around? Buy 2 and splice together?
    IG pebble, 15,000 gallon
    Aquabot 4WD, Poolskim
    DIY chlorine feed
    BBB

8. Back To Top    #8

Can you post a pic of the skimmer mouth? You can probably buy two and weld them together. Buying the ones with the foam insert would be the best to get.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

After getting farther into it, where the tile changes to plastic, it's actually 8.5" wide x 5.75" high... looks more "standard".

edit: Cover says "Pentair", but nothing on the skimmer. http://www.amazon.com/Pentair-WEIR-FLAP ... B003UNWVN8
    This one on another site says 8" x 5"... think that' a fit?

edit#2: Actually just found this one that looks closer to correct: http://www.sears.com/pentair-8-1-2-in-w ... ockType=G1

After looking at the above manual at the Pentair site, it's definitely this one. Now I know what the equalizer port does, and can safely order the door. Thanks guys!
    IG pebble, 15,000 gallon
    Aquabot 4WD, Poolskim
    DIY chlorine feed
    BBB

10. Back To Top    #10

Glad you got it figured out. It necked down like I thought it should.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Bought a new Door ($19 incl shipping at Amazon), and works great. Can actually see water flowing in the right direction! Now if I can get the community mowers to aim their chute in the other direction!
    IG pebble, 15,000 gallon
    Aquabot 4WD, Poolskim
    DIY chlorine feed
    BBB

12. Back To Top    #12

Amazing how much difference it can make isn't it? When I added a weir to my pool, it made a ton of difference.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.