Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cloudy water

1. Back To Top    #1

Cloudy water

Completed an aa treatment and gave a dose of 2 qaurts of proteams metal magic yesterday. Water and liner perfectly clear today what a relief, so I thought. I added 18 oz of an algaside that contains no metals and it got pool cloudy with minutes. Is that normal and can I still start raising ph immediately. How long would a cloudiness due to algaside take to start to dissipate to a clear pool again?
    Southern NJ, 1 HP Haward Pump, 16x 32 dimensions, 21,000 gallon vinyl liner inground pool, TF-100 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cloudy water

On a side note I have a ph reading of 6.8. To slowly raise to 7.2 the pool calculater suggests about 17 lbs of borax "all natural laundry booster 20 mule team". Is that indeed correct amount? Seems like alot.
    Southern NJ, 1 HP Haward Pump, 16x 32 dimensions, 21,000 gallon vinyl liner inground pool, TF-100 test kit.

3. Back To Top    #3

Bobswe:

What is your TA? The amount of chemical (be it Borax, Washing Soda, or Soda Ash) needed to increase pH depends on your TA (and Borate, if any). I would test your TA and input that along with your pH into the Pool Calculator as well as the # gallons in your pool (21,000 in your case). No need to test Borate level unless you use borates; if you do, then test & input borate amount in Pool Calculator as well. I would trust the Pool Calculator calculations.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

4. Back To Top    #4

Alkalinity is at 130 and I put target of all at 120. Comes up with about 14 pounds of borax of I did it right. Did I?

5. Back To Top    #5

I meant target of 120 for alkalinity, (spell check).

6. Back To Top    #6

Yep, I get 14 lbs of borax, too.

21K gallons, TA 130, pH increase from 6.8 to 7.2.

Go slow....add half to two/thirds and circ and retest and then fine tune
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks. Added 2/3 and it's getting close. As to tge other question. How could putting in some algaside make pool go cloudy so fast. Waters blue, but milky white cloudy blue now.