New Pool - Truck the water in or use the hose??

Mar 5, 2008
Forgive me if this has been covered before (I'm sure it has, but didn't see anything searching)...

I need to fill my new pool - AG 12,000 gallons. I got an estimate from the water trucking company of about $500 to supply 9,000 gallons of pre-treated water. I plan to use Chlorine. They can't come for 3-4 business days - which means to me - that they might not come out this week.

Orrr...... I could just throw the hose in. I have town water (no well) I need the hose to cover the 3k gallons that the water trucking company won't supply anyway... but should I just bag out on the water truck and fill the whole pool? I honestly have no idea cost-wise which is more effective, I figure I'd probably have to put more chemicals in if I fill the entire pool. Plus I have no idea how long it will take to fill.

To summarize - here's my questions:

* Do ya'll think it will cost me more to fill the pool with town water then to truck in 9k gallons of pre-treated water for $500 & fill the rest with town water?

* Do you think it will take longer then 3-4 days to fill a 12k gallon pool with town water?

I know this is all variable, just looking for guestimates/opinions.

BTW I ordered my TF Pool test kit today - yay!

If you at talking strictly time, I would say it would depend GREATLY on the quantity of water per hour you can supply from the hose. I recently, due to a CYA battle, did a drain/refill on half of my pool, totally 15,000 gallons (30,000 gallon pool). If I remember correctly, it took approximately 10 or 12 hours. From two hoses off of city water. Now, both of these hoses were non pressure regulated, so they pump at a much higher pressure than normal house pressure. I'm thinking about twice house pressure.

I have no way to know the cost of your city water, so I cannot comment on that. I'm not sure how much the 15,000 gal will cost me. Had to have it. Actually it was 15,000 from that drain/refill, then maybe an additional 5,000 from a subsequent drain/refill.

Good luck,
Mister Mister

I would throw in a couple of hoses and fill it with town water. Unless your water company is very high, you should not spend more than $500. I'm guessing around $300 - but that's just a guess. Our water company screwed up our bill for the first month we were in the house, and never even billed us when we filled our pool. lol

I doubt the chemicals cost would make up for the price difference anyway. Is the truck water already balanced for pH, Cl and CH or something?

You could even ask the water company what it will cost, approximately, for 12,000 gallons. It's probably a good idea to let them know you will be filling a pool anyway in case they notice the huge increase in usage. With a couple of hoses running and normal pressue, I'd guess around 24 hrs to fill.

we filled a 28k gallon pool in about 30 hours with two hoses, 1 unregulated one was...I think my water bill was only about $100 more the last time I did it, just ask them what they chage per gallon so you don't get shocked, I was quite pleased, I thought it would be more.

Thanks guys!

I actually don't care so much if it ends up costing about the same, I was more concerned about it being 'a lot' more or something. I do love the idea of calling the water company, hadn't thought of that - thanks!

And just to answer the question - I do believe the trucked in water is PH balanced, chlorinated & all that jazz. However, since it's only going to wind up being about 3/4 of my water anyway, I'd still need to do my own balancing anyway I figure.

I think I'm only going to have access to 1 hose at regular pressure - otherwise I'd have to string one around from the front of the house - that would be a looooooong hose, plus, the water pressure in the house seems to drop a lot when we run the hose as is so I probably wouldn't see much of a benefit. So I'm probably looking at a few days anyway.

Thanks again!

The more hoses you use the faster it will fill. Your city water is alrady chlorinated and probably has a pH close to what you want anyway. Most likely it will cost you less than 1 cent per gallon - BUT you might want to check with your water company first. Some water companies have penalty rates once you go over a certain quanitity.

If there's one thing you can count on, it's that you can't count on the cost of water being consistent!! :lol: :lol:

Water to fill my pool would've cost two new cars and my first-born child. Some of it is so cheap you don't have to worry about the cost. ALWAYS check the local cost.

If you opt to fill with the hose, consider this first. You need to determine if this will take place during sewer averaging. Generally, the city will have a period, usually a couple of months, during which they will average your sewer usage based on your water usage during this period of time. If you use a bunch of water during sewer averaging, say, by filling a pool, then your sewer charge on your bill will be falsely high for the rest of the next year's billing cycle. Normally, if you are using a crazy amount of water for an odd reason such as filling a pool during this time, you can simply notify the city with a letter that you are doing so and they will not count this total in the sewer average. If you don't do this, then the up front cost of the water may be the least of your concerns. Just check with the city and determine if this is the case.

Craig

Wow you guys are amazing...

Thanks to your suggestions, I did call the town and usually our town does lump in sewer, but aparently you can apply for an "abatement" simply by mailing a letter to the town. Something I NEVER would've thought up if it wasn't for this forum...

Also started filling the pool - with our one normal hose, we were able to fill it about halfway in just 5 hrs. We'll run it again tonight after work and will likely finish filling it - who knew? Oh yeah - you guys did - lol!

And ya we do have chlorinated water - the water looks all pretty blue colored already.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Glad you asked this question, I needed to know the same thing. Your water pressure is much better than mine. We had our hose running for 6 hours yesterday and it only had about 6" of water. I think something is wrong because it has never taken that long to add water to the pool.

i am off to call the city and the water company also since my sewer is based on my water usage also.

Great suggestions!

Our town clerk just need proof that you either got a new pool or put a new liner in. We are the same as the other poster, our sewer charge is based on water useage.

Little know fact ... at least here. The Fire dept. has the right to take your water out of your pool to fight a fire. :cry:

Hotrod30 said:
Our town clerk just need proof that you either got a new pool or put a new liner in. We are the same as the other poster, our sewer charge is based on water useage.

Little know fact ... at least here. The Fire dept. has the right to take your water out of your pool to fight a fire. :cry:

Do they have any liability for damage?

duraleigh said:
If there's one thing you can count on, it's that you can't count on the cost of water being consistent!! :lol: :lol:

Water to fill my pool would've cost two new cars and my first-born child. Some of it is so cheap you don't have to worry about the cost. ALWAYS check the local cost.

if you think yours would be high , can you amagin mine. i would assume fill with the neighbors hose when their not looking.

BTW, how do i know if my water line on the outside is not regulated, and how do i get one if it is???

Dang sound like everyone has high water rates.
mine takes about 8000 gal and think $20-30 to fill.

I live in the county and on a septic tank, so i don't pay sewage.
my water bill runs about $20 a month.

also call the water dept and tell them you are filling a pool and you should get a reduce rate and not pay for sewage on the water.

heatmisr said:
Glad you asked this question, I needed to know the same thing. Your water pressure is much better than mine. We had our hose running for 6 hours yesterday and it only had about 6" of water. I think something is wrong because it has never taken that long to add water to the pool.

i am off to call the city and the water company also since my sewer is based on my water usage also.

Great suggestions!

Something many people don't know is that you can adjust your water pressure with the regulator that's in your meter pit. They are often set fairly low to prevent plumbing leaks, but if you are sure your plumbing is in good shape, you can crank it up. Unless you happen to be unlucky enough to live on top of a hill that doesn't have a tank or standpipe.

Just an update on my experience.....

The city lobbed me to the water company and the water company punted me back to the city. In other words..........I'm screwed......LOL. but YMMV.

Thanks, John. I'll check that out when I get home.

katkami said:
And ya we do have chlorinated water - the water looks all pretty blue colored already.

I tested my tap water one time and it read 1.0-1.5 ppm chlorine, so you probably have <.5 left if the pool got lots of sun. you should've waited to fill for when a rain was coming :p, free water. when you get the rest of the water in there, make sure to throw some bleach in immediately so you don't get any algae outbreaks....have fun swimming.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.