Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What is the purpose of brushing the pool 3 times a day....

1. Back To Top    #1

What is the purpose of brushing the pool 3 times a day....

after the inital start up of a new build?
    21,200 gal IG gunite, CL 580 sqft Cartridge filter, aqua pure salt system, polaris 480-blue&white, Jandy PDA Remote, (4) Jandy Deck Jets

2. Back To Top    #2
    Brushiing helps remove the stuff that comes out of the plaster finish as it continues to cure. Brushing is important in ANY pool, not just new plaster, and is somethng that I bet NONE of us really do often enough. It helps keep your pool clean and mixes the water in case there are any 'dead spots' where the circulation is not as good. Even though it's a lot of work don't slack on the brushing with new plaster! It will ensure that your plater finish looks great once it's cured.

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm in the same stage. My PB said we should do the brushing 2x a day for at least 2 days prior to turning the heater on-to prevent the stuff from caking on the heater.
    Carolyn

22X44 freeform gunite with DE filter (44,500 gallons), 4 deck jets

4. Back To Top    #4
    Brushing is very important for a plaster pool if you want a smooth surface. If you don't get the dust off the surface, it can harden and you will have a sandpaper finish. I brushed my 3 times a day and now it is very smooth.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

How long are you supposed to keep up with the brushing?
    Carolyn

22X44 freeform gunite with DE filter (44,500 gallons), 4 deck jets

6. Back To Top    #6
    I believe it was about ten days to two weeks.
    TFP Founder

My Pool: 13K gal IG gunite with 7' spa, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Polaris 280 Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.