2nd skimmer

Glock

Jun 3, 2012
Mesquite, Texas
I am entertaining the idea of adding a 2nd skimmer to the 18x34 I have going in soon. It just seems like alot of pool for one skimmer.

My pump is a Powerline 1.5 HP (Doughboy) with a 24" sand filter. My PB told me it would cost an extra 900 if they did it because I would need a 2nd filter/pump.

My idea was to put my filter/pump equal distance between the two (on either end of the pool) and plumbing them to a "Y" and then to the pump. Will that work or will I need a strong pump and maybe bigger diameter pipe from the "Y" to the pump? Or, do I actually need a second pump/filter?

If you arrange the skimmer on the downwind side, one skimmer is plenty. However if you want to add an additional one, I'd place one on the side and the other on the end. Then I'd place the return between them

You think I will need a 2nd pump/filter? I guess my main worry is if a single 1.5 HP pump will have enough pull to run them both. Its a Doughboy pool and they don't even make an option for a 2nd skimmer so maybe I am just overkilling?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.