Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 2nd skimmer

1. Back To Top    #1

2nd skimmer

I am entertaining the idea of adding a 2nd skimmer to the 18x34 I have going in soon. It just seems like alot of pool for one skimmer.

My pump is a Powerline 1.5 HP (Doughboy) with a 24" sand filter. My PB told me it would cost an extra 900 if they did it because I would need a 2nd filter/pump.

My idea was to put my filter/pump equal distance between the two (on either end of the pool) and plumbing them to a "Y" and then to the pump. Will that work or will I need a strong pump and maybe bigger diameter pipe from the "Y" to the pump? Or, do I actually need a second pump/filter?
    18x34 Doughboy AGP 22300K Gallons - Build Thread
    Aquaview 24" Sand Filter - 1.5 HP Powerline Pump - Barracuda Ranger - Taylor K-2006 - BBB
    Pool School and Pool Calculator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 2nd skimmer

Nobody? I searched but didn't find anything.
    Aquaview 24" Sand Filter - 1.5 HP Powerline Pump - Barracuda Ranger - Taylor K-2006 - BBB

3. Back To Top    #3

Sorry, no answer here, but I am very intersted in what the pros will eventually provide.
    POOL: Intex ultra new in 2014 (32 x 16 x 52) (seasonal; on concrete pad covered with 1.5" extruded or whatever foam insulation sheets - ugly, but comfy); added a through-wall skimmer; I add salt for feel. EQUIPMENT: Pentair SuperFlo pump (1HP, 2SPD); Pentair cartridge filter (200 sq. ft); Pentair MasterTemp natural gas heater (400,000 btu) Climate/Location: Eastern Nebraska

4. Back To Top    #4

If you arrange the skimmer on the downwind side, one skimmer is plenty. However if you want to add an additional one, I'd place one on the side and the other on the end. Then I'd place the return between them
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

You think I will need a 2nd pump/filter? I guess my main worry is if a single 1.5 HP pump will have enough pull to run them both. Its a Doughboy pool and they don't even make an option for a 2nd skimmer so maybe I am just overkilling?

6. Back To Top    #6

One pump will be more than enough even for 2 skimmers. You really don't need two skimmers on that pool.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

That is what I was looking for. I will let them set it up for 1. If it starts to be an issue I can always add it later.