Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: high psi pressure even when off

1. Back To Top    #1

high psi pressure even when off

Ok, gurus....please help. We are total newbs. We closed up pool and left sand filter on closed all winter instead of winterize. Our psi is 25, even when off. when on, it jumps to 36. We've backwashed and it does nothing to the pressure. The water coming into the pool is so strong it's almost bubbling, even when angled down. I don't think it's a broken guage. I tried recirculate and it's the same psi as when it's on filter. How do we get the pressure down? We have a waterway sand filter (18", I think) with a 1 hp pump, single speed pump. Things worked great last season, our first. I predict it has something to do with closing the valve all winter. Please help because our pool is getting algae. Thanks!
    18' Round AG, 54" Deep; 19" cheap sand filter; 1 hp cheap pump; about 8600 gallons

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: high psi pressure even when off

If the gauge doesn't read zero when off then it is broken for sure. The common pressure gauge is cheaply made and breaks easily. They cost about $10 to replace and can be found at any pool store.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

thank you for replying! the force of the water coming into the pool seems so much stronger than last year, though. I'll try a new gauge since that's an easy fix. Thanks!
    18' Round AG, 54" Deep; 19" cheap sand filter; 1 hp cheap pump; about 8600 gallons

4. Back To Top    #4

yep....sure enough it's a bad gauge. removed the top to filter and gauge still read 25. haha. thanks so much for your help. now, to clear the algae. I may come calling again. ha!