1600 gph vs 2650 gph intex sand filter

Jun 16, 2012
Hello guys, I just bought a 18 x 48 intex ultra frame pool, and I want to buy a sand filter, but don't know which one would be the best option for this pool size.
Im debating between the intex 1600 gph and 2650 gph.

All comments and suggestions will be highly appreciated, thanks!

I have a 18x52 Ultra Frame Intex pool....purchased the 1600 gph/14 inch Kyrstal Clear Sand Filter Pump from Amazon.com and it works great (purchased it for $138.99 while every place else was over $200). Water is crystal clear! I have been using it since Memorial Day weekend.

I have the 1600 and it's very effective. Between it and pool school my water is invisible when it's still and sparkly when it's moving. When I'm vacuuming and when the pump is pushing water through the solar heaters I feel the results would be better had I purchased the bigger system. I hard plumbed everything and that makes a world of difference and maybe it's just the Tim Taylor in me but I feel like it needs to be more powerful. If I had it to do over again I'd get the bigger one. Just my two cents. :-D

I have the 18 foot round intex by 52 inch deep and have the 1600 gph sand filter and it works great the water is crystal clear but I'm getting ready to hard plumb it and add a through wall skimmer and a.fountain and am upgrading to a 2650 gph for the extra flow, but I am very pleased with the 1600 gph........Mike

poloelferoz said:
Thanks for the comments, I think Im going to go with the 2650, where would it be a good place to get it?
thanks! :)

I got mine off of Amazon just a few weeks ago, great price, no tax for me here in CA and because I already had a prime membership I ordered it Friday night and had it Monday morning with free shipping! :mrgreen: :cheers:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
burmjohn said:
FYI its 199 on ebay w/free shipping no tax.

Do you know if any additional hardware is needed for the 15x48 easy set version?

If I recall correctly when I set mine up the hoses that came with it do not work out of the box with no mods to the pool. With such a big pump I cut out both of the existing "nipple" hose attachments on the pool and put in a real return as well as a through the wall skimmer. I can't remember if the return came with the 2650 or the skimmer tho sorry.

Here is the skimmer I got off Amazon, I am impressed with it, both because it literally comes with everyting you need and then some as well as how it performs with the 2650.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0032J ... 01_s00_i00

I just ordered the 2650 for my 16x48. Maybe over kill... but I got it at a great price on Amazon. I had actually already upgraded my cartridge filter system to the 2500/gph and its been working great. I am just tired of dealing with the cartridges and I've only had it for a month.

I'm debating whether or not purchase the intex 1600. I have the original pump with cartridge filter that came with my easyset 18x48 and I have no problem with water quality. My biggest problem is when it comes down to vaccuming the bottom of the pool, it just doesn't have enough suction.

My question is, will i see a drastic difference even with the 1600 or should I opt for the 2650? The issue is that i'm from Canada and I can't find the 2650 anywhere here and shipping cost are just too extreme.

Thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.