High manganese level in refill water??

HuskerFan_1

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 15, 2012
Nebraska
My manganese level in my refill water is very high. Iron is not detectable in refill water. Had water tested at servi-tech lab, so I know my problem is the high manganese. I had a leak in my pool a different thread, when I refilled I added about 6000 gallons and water was instantly brown. I thought to myself here we go again another week of dirty water. I brought the chlorine level close to shock level. To my surprise within a day and a half water is crystal clear again. :party: I back washed three times and water was a reddish brown each time. My question is, is my filter filtering the manganese out of the water and do I need to add a metal sequestering agent to my pool? I have just a little staining in my skimmer box which is white. I have read a few posts that some people say they are lucky with there high metals in there water that they can filter them out, while others have to add something to sequester the metal.

This is about the same amount of refill water I add after winter and it takes about two weeks to clear up. Same results backwash is reddish brown all the time. This is my first year with borates in my pool. Does that have anything to do with how quickly it cleared up after refilling?

Thanks,

Dan

Thanks for the quick response. I won't hold the fact that your a cyclone against you. I'm going to miss the rivalries we had in the big 12. Had some college roommates from Iowa they too were cyclone fans.

Pretty new to this site and finally realized people here know way more the local pool stores do. I've been spreading the word to other friends I know that have pools.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Dan

ps. GO BIG RED

Bama Rambler said:
High chlorine levels will sometimes precipitate metals out of the water. Sounds like you got lucky.
It sure would be nice to know how to force this for pools less at risk for staining (I am thinking one might not take the chance on a plaster pool, but might on an agp vinyl). It has always works for me (well all of three years, and 2 years for my neighbor...we are both on different private wells), though the precipitation is still suspended in the water, and therefore filterable...with a sand filter. It really has be a non-issue for my pool other than a kind fun expectation of "what color will it be this year" and how long will it take to filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.