Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TA question for vinyl pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Small midwest town In illinois

TA question for vinyl pool

FC tonight was 3 (was 5 this am, been sunny ALLL DAY and was used a lot today, obvi adding bleach per calculator)
    PH 7.4
    CYA 45
    No CC
    But my TA was 170
    My pool is CRYSTAL clear, but my husband insisted to check TA, as I don't really do it often. ( I mainly check FC and PH) But my sons eyes were red and he came in tested PH and was 7.3. I told him too hold out another hour or so, cuz I KNEW it would rise do to the activity of the pool. As for 4 days nobody used it. And of course the PH rose. But should I be worried of the TA?

Have had no other problems, and my still remains crystal clear.
    My husband always wants to add Borax when PH is 7.3-7.2, and I think to hold off esp. when i know its going to be a long long weekend in the pool. So, advice?
    14,600g / 24ft. Round Above Ground with Solar Cover and solar heater panel.
    Vinyl Liner
    Hayward Cartridge Filter (CCX 1500RE)
    2 HP Hayward Powerflo LX Pump
    Pool and solar heater get full sun, when its shinning daily!!
    Using test kit: Taylor K-2006
    Successful BBB user.

2. Back To Top    #2
    DFW, Texas

Re: TA question for vinyl pool

Hi maryj0w:

There are two reasons to lower your total alkalinity (TA)
    • 1. Because you want to slow down the rate that the PH rises

• 2. If high TA is contributing to a high calcium saturation index (CSI) which puts you at risk of calcium scaling.

You shouldn't lower TA just to reach a target number.

Here is an article that explains more about TA:

Do you happen to know what your Calcium Hardness (CH) is? With a vinyl liner it should be kept between 50-300 ppm. This will also impact your CSI (click the Pool Calculator link in my sig for more info)
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.