Ph is 7.2. Water also is clear with a green tint. Don't know what that's about. TC is 4.5. Also, CYA is 20 after adding stabilizer (filled old pantyhouse and put in skimmer baskets.) How long will it take for the CYA to go up? Sorry, completely new to this pool stuff.

Aunt Juju said:
Ph is 7.2.
To continue to lower TA you will need to aerate to get the ph up again. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/lowering total alkalinity

Aunt Juju said:
Water also is clear with a green tint.
That sounds like metal in the water. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/metal stains

Aunt Juju said:
Also, CYA is 20 after adding stabilizer (filled old pantyhouse and put in skimmer baskets.) How long will it take for the CYA to go up?
How much did you put in and what was your target? It can take up to a week for cya to fully show up in test, so I would not test again for now.

It will help us help you is you put your pool and equipment details in your signature.

Thanks. My pool has a "bubbler" that I can turn on to aerate. Should I add more acid yet? I don't have a test kit for metals, so I will take a sample to the pool store. However, on 6/5/12, the pool store told us to add one bottle of Metal Free because our iron number was 1.5. Pool was completely clear prior to adding Metal Free. Once we added the Metal Free, the pool turned cloudy, then green but retested 0 for iron. Was told to add a case of liquid chlorine. Have since added 2 additional cases. Water is getting clearer daily, but not less green. I will add info to my signature.

Aunt Juju said:
Thanks. My pool has a "bubbler" that I can turn on to aerate. Should I add more acid yet? I don't have a test kit for metals, so I will take a sample to the pool store. However, on 6/5/12, the pool store told us to add one bottle of Metal Free because our iron number was 1.5. Pool was completely clear prior to adding Metal Free. Once we added the Metal Free, the pool turned cloudy, then green but retested 0 for iron. Was told to add a case of liquid chlorine. Have since added 2 additional cases. Water is getting clearer daily, but not less green. I will add info to my signature.
Yeah, turn on the bubbler.

Don't add acid until you ph is back up to 7.7-7.8, then bring it back down.

When you say the water turned green, you meant green but still clear? If so, most likely that was due to adding the chlorine.

It would help us if you post a full set of test results to move forward. Post what you have for now.

It sounds like you are shocking the pool? Why?

First and foremost you need an appropriate test kit. What do you have now? Where did those numbers come from? See link in my sig for details...I like the tf-100, best bang for buck.

If you suspect algae, an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test (OCLT) would help you know. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/overnight_fc_test It will be difficult to do the OCLT with just a TC (Total Chlorine) test, but you can try.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Also, even though recently added cya (less than one week since addition) may not show up on a test, you can assume it is in there and base your target FC on the amount of cya you added -- so if it the test says cya of 20 but you know you added enough to get to 40 two days ago, assume a cya of 40.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.