Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cloudy Water After 3 Weeks Maintaining Shock Level

1. Back To Top    #1

Cloudy Water After 3 Weeks Maintaining Shock Level

Hi there, I am new to TFP and hope there is some hope for my pool. I have read through every post I can find that pertains to my problem with no avail. I have ordered the FAS-DPD Service Test Kit through Leslie's but it has not arrived yet. Needless to say, I purchased the 6-way test kit available at Wal-Mart because I needed to have a clue where my numbers stand. I know I am not losing FC because my readings are at least 5 (probably more). For 3 weeks I have consistently added 6% bleach to maintain a chlorine level. At least 1 gallon every other day. As of today, I roll up the solar cover and it is still cloudy. I would estimate that I can only see 6-8 inches below the surface. I have vacuumed, backwashed, rinsed, vacuumed to waste. I am so frustrated. Here are my numbers:

Cl 5+
    pH 7.2
    TA 180
    TH 270
    CYA 30+ (I could still see the black dot when the vial was full, it was just starting getting hard to see)

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I know the TA has to be lowered, but I'm not sure what order to add chemicals for fear of making it worse.
    18 x 33 JW Titan Above Ground Oval
    Hayward 21" Pro-Series High Rate Sand Filter 1.5 HP

2. Back To Top    #2
    Twin Cities, MN

Re: Cloudy Water After 3 Weeks Maintaining Shock Level

Welcome to tfp, Addey67

You will know more once you get your FAS-DPD FC test, it is hard to do the shocking process without it.
    Have you added cya?
    Do you know your CH level?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3
    East Texas

You sound like an excellent candidate for shocking your pool. Your water not being clear is one of the criteria. FC of "5" isn't a shock level for much of anything.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4
    DFW, Texas

Hi Addey67:

Welcome to TFP

In your post, you state that the Free Chlorine (FC) level is "at least 5". However, you also need to know the Combined Chlorine (CC) level. FC+CC=Total Chlorine (TC). For example, if your FC=5 and your CC=1 resulting in a TC=6, you would still need to shock since CC is greater than 0.5.

When your FAS-DPD test kit arrives, I would check your CC and FC. Since your water is not clear, there is a risk of some organic contamination of some sort. Unclear water is one of the criteria determining the need to shock. As woodyp says, an FC of 5 isn't much of a shock level. I would also suggest running an OCLT. If the OCLT fails OR your CC is greater than 0.5 then I would definitely shock. Here is the process: Shock Your Pool. You will need your FAS-DPD test kit to shock properly, though. Click the Chlorine/CYA Chart link in my signature to determine the appropriate shock FC target based on your pool's CYA level.

Let us know your FAS-DPD test results and we will go from there.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.