Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: AGP purchase...my first post

1. Back To Top    #1

AGP purchase...my first post

My family is looking at purchasing an agp. We were quoted $3500.00 for a 27ft round aqua leader vogue sentinelle 54" kit.
    Pool Specs:
    top ledge-10"resin
    uprights- 8" resin
    bottom rails -resin
    top& plates-resin
    warranty- 60yrs-3yrs@100%

Items included are as follows:
    Upgraded liner
    Hayward wide mouth skimmer
    Jacuzzi 19" sand filter w/ 1hp pump
    1 1/2 x 35' vacuum hose
    Maint.kit(vac.head,brush,skimmer net vac.pole etc.)
    200# filter sand
    confer A-frame ladder
    Pool cove
    Liner gaurd
    slabs
    winter cover
    plastic pump base

Does this sound like a reasonably good deal? I am new to pools and want to do it right the first time. Is it a better choice to purchase online and piece a pool together? If so what are some comparable pools to the above at online stores? Also what online stores come highly recommended in general. Lots of them on google, a bit overwhelmd here. Thanks for any help and assitance giving.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: AGP purchase...my first post

Sounds like a good price, but I'd think about upgrading the size of that sand filter to at least 22".
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Price sounds okay. I agree with Woody, you will want a much bigger filter than that. In addition, if they will do it, get a 2-speed pump, but 1 hp (3/4 hp might be better) is probably okay if you go with a larger filter.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

I may be able to leave out the filter and pump. Which pump and filter do you recommend? I am on well water and live on a dusty road although the pool will be roughly 100 ft.from the road. Would you recommend a sand or cartridge filter? Thanks for the help

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by nitrobob
    Would you recommend a sand or cartridge filter?
    That is a controversial topic. All three filter types will do the job (DE is the third). I personally like sand, since I find it is the easiest, but others will have reasons for the others.

I may be able to leave out the filter and pump. Which pump and filter do you recommend?
    For your pool size:
    For sand we would recommend at least a 3.2 sq. ft filter (about 24" diameter).
    For cartridge we would recommend a 260 sq. ft. filter.
    For DE we would recommend a 24 sq. ft. filter.

Generally the bigger the filter the better, though sand filters do need a minimum backwash flowrate to flush right.

For pump recommendations, we need more details on your build, pipe diameter, length of runs, other features such as solar, etc.

Most likely a good choice would be a 1 hp hayward matrix 2-speed or the pentair equivalent, but again we need more information.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

6. Back To Top    #6

The install will be done professionally. The pump/filter will most likely be next to the pool with a standard install on piping i'm assuming. They never said anything about pipe size etc. Not sure what you mean by solar?? Can you put any pump on any filter. Any good online retailers you recommend?

7. Back To Top    #7

The install will be done professionally. The pump/filter will most likely be next to the pool with a standard install on piping i'm assuming. They never said anything about pipe size etc.
    I would ask for 2" pvc if possible, though they are probably assuming the cheap flexible corrugated 1.5" in tubing. You may not have a choice here with typical agp installers.

Not sure what you mean by solar??
    Solar heat exchange panels to heat the pool water...sounds like you are not considering that, which is fine. It can effect what pump you would buy.

Can you put any pump on any filter.
    They are separate parts, but many manufacturers pair them together on something called a skidpack. Most of those skidpacks have too big of a pump and too small of a filter (such as the one you were quoted).

8. Back To Top    #8

Just got off the phone with the pool store and they said they will take $399 off the total for the Jacuzzi pump/filter combo. What size pump/filter do you recommend for a 24ft x 54 tall . We may have to downsize to a 24ft from the 27ft after measuring the yard.

Thanks for the help linen.

9. Back To Top    #9

The 1 hp pump is fine, even a 3/4 hp is fine.

I'd recommend a 3/4 or 1 hp 2-speed and close to a 250 lb sand, 200 sqft cartridge, 48 sqft DE filter.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit