Hayward h250 natural gas heaterr

Jun 15, 2012
I have an h250 hayward pool heater. It is natural gas an lights electronically. When I turn it to the pool position, it lights and then goes out. It does this three times and then states IF for ignition failure. I used it 2 1/2 years before it tore up. Any ideas?

Make sure the gas valve is turned on and that it is getting gas. If that is not the problem, it is probably the igniter. The manual has a troubleshooting guide. If you don't have the manual you can search it online.

Remove the access cover to where the ignitor is and look for a 1/16" dia wire sticking out into the burner area. This is the flame sensor. It needs to be clean. They are usually easy to remove...sometimes they simply slide out of the socket holding them. Clean this so it is shiny with some steel wool or real fine sandpaper and reinstall. Any corrosion buildup on this will cause resistance which will not allow proper signal flow back to the control board.

Can you see it when it lights? If you can, make sure the flame sensor is in the flame. Murphys law states that when an orfice or burner port is to be plugged up it is to be the one directly under the flame sensor.
also, is this unit hard wired or is it a plug in unit? Either way a good ground connection is a must for these flame sensors to work properly. I have seen them work without one and, in fact, mine is one of them. However I recently fixed one that worked intermitently and the owner changed out almost every component before he called me. He was running his heater off of an extension cord that someone gut the ground prong off of. We swapped cords and it fired right up.

According to the manual a flame sensor would give an error code of HF, IF should be either the gas supply or the ignitor. Read the troubleshooting guide in the manual. It give steps to follow to diagnose the problem.

If it lights for 4 seconds and goes out, it's probably the ignitor. If you have the H-Series ED2 model, the flame sensor and ignitor is all one part. Part #HAXIGN1931. To remove on this model, there should be a nut screwed onto the top portion of the bracket and then a screw holding it in the front.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.