Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: change return on pool from flex to pvc

1. Back To Top    #1

change return on pool from flex to pvc

Any way I can change my return on pool from flex to PVC without draining the water down?

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: change return on pool from flex to pvc

plug off the return by unscrewing the "eye" and thread in a 1.5" plug
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

3. Back To Top    #3

The whole part that goes into pool doesn't have to come out?

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Gotch-ya. Wasn't thinking all the way thru on that one. Do you have different return outlet to put in place? I do remember changing one out where I put plugs in both the old one and the new one. I unscrewed the old one, pulled it out quick and stuck the new one in. Be prepared to get a little wet and move quickly...you should only lose a few gallons.

On mine I used a short, flexible piece of tubing to connect my PVC plumbing. If I get a chance I will get a picture.

Here is a picture...

I did not want a completly rigid connection so I added this short piece of 1.5" vinyl tubing.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

5. Back To Top    #5

I was worried about getting water between the liner and the wall of the pool. I thought the whole thing came out? I put the thing together but can't remember if there is another piece.

6. Back To Top    #6

I thought about putting flex but I have a deck going up and it will be really hard to get to the return once its up so that is why I really what to put all PVC.

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

I just went out and looked at mine again. On mine the vinyl hose is connected to a thread in nipple. The return fitting would not have to be removed. If I recall, the thread is a standard 1.5" pipe thread that is available in PVC. You should be able to change this to PVC without removing the return fitting if yours is the same.

8. Back To Top    #8

Are sweeps better to use then elbows?

9. Back To Top    #9

As I have found out, it makes very little difference until their numbers add up (and even then there are other obstructions that cause more head loss then the elbows). Just make sure you use sch40, whatever you choose.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

I would have used sweeping El's but, I was cleaning out my parts box and had those elbows in there. I think there are only two on the line so not much of a problem. Been that way for 10 years now and with the pump on low speed the outlet still keeps a light whirlpool going.