Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question on PH

1. Back To Top    #1

Question on PH

Since I got my test kit and testing PH/CL daily and weekly for other things I notice my PH goes up from 7.5 to 7.8 in about a week - then i add muratic acid to lower and then it rises. Thoughts?

Numbers from 06/11

PH 7.5
    FC 4.5
    CC 0
    TC 4.5
    TA 60
    CH 380
    CYA 45

Today:

PH 7.8
    FC 3.5 (SWG on 40% running on low speed for 6 hours a day - gonna bump it to 50% as I want to stay in the 4-5 range)
    CC 0
    TC 3.5
    TA 60
    CH 380
    CYA 50

Is it normal for PH to rise that fast?
    25K gal plaster IG pool/spa - Aqua Pure SWG - Jandy RS8 with OneTouch and iAqualink - 1.5HP Jandy Variable Speed ePump - Pentair 3 HP Spa Jet - Polaris 280 with booster - Pentair Cartridge Filter - 400K BTU MiniMax Heater

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Question on PH

Do you have any water features? A waterfall, for example, will affect pH. High TA can also lead to rising pH...tho your TA certainly appears to be under control.

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

That may be perfectly normal for your pool SWG and aeration can both cause pH rise. Normally low TA helps buffer it, but at 60 you are already very low. Borates would also help buffer pH rise. But in the end you would still use as much acid, just have to add less frequently.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I do have a built in spa that overflows to the pool - obviously this is happening 6 hours of the day along with SWG aeration.

So you feel this is a normal increase with these variables?

Best course of action just a weekly does of acid?

Thanks!
    25K gal plaster IG pool/spa - Aqua Pure SWG - Jandy RS8 with OneTouch and iAqualink - 1.5HP Jandy Variable Speed ePump - Pentair 3 HP Spa Jet - Polaris 280 with booster - Pentair Cartridge Filter - 400K BTU MiniMax Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Since your TA is already on the low end ... sounds like you will just have to continue adding acid. The overflow and SWG are just going to keep raising it unfortunately.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

thanks guys. since this is my first pool and I just received my test kit a couple weeks ago - I dont have any history or experience to compare too. So ill chalk this up as normal and report back in future test!

Shooting for 4-5 on the FC sound about right? From what I read my CYA should be bumper with an SWG - Im just concerned that Leslie always said I had 90-100CYA and when I test is always about 50. Guess I need to learn to trust my test I even give it to my wife and tell her to fill it and she gets the same number without me telling her or her even knowing what she is testing so definitely an unbiased tester!!

7. Back To Top    #7

Question on PH

A pic to show off the clear water thanks to you guys!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Wicked
    Shooting for 4-5 on the FC sound about right? From what I read my CYA should be bumper with an SWG - Im just concerned that Leslie always said I had 90-100CYA and when I test is always about 50. Guess I need to learn to trust my test
    Minimum FC level for 50 ppm cya and a swg is 2 ppm (from poolcalculator.com), so you are running a little high. CYA of 50 ppm is lower then most people run for the swg, recommended levels is 70-80 ppm for swg.

Im just concerned that Leslie always said I had 90-100CYA and when I test is always about 50. Guess I need to learn to trust my test
    Typically new users get higher than actual readings. You do need to trust your readings since pool stores typically get this one wrong. If it helps, here are the cya extended test kit directions: http://www.troublefreepool.com/exten...1.html#p206397
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

9. Back To Top    #9

I do have a built in spa that overflows to the pool - obviously this is happening 6 hours of the day along with SWG aeration.

So you feel this is a normal increase with these variables?

Best course of action just a weekly does of acid?

Thanks!
    Wicked:

I also have a spa that overflows into the pool. Even with a chlorinated pool (non-SWG) my pH tends to drift up, which is normal due to the aeration provided by the waterfall. During the swim season, I target a pH of 7.5. When it hits 7.6, I add a dose of MA as calculated by the Pool Calculator to get it back to 7.5. I test pH daily, so I am administering a dose of MA 2-3 X per week. I test TA weekly and adjust if needed.

BTW, that's some good looking clear water in your pool pic!
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

10. Back To Top    #10

I too have a SWG and overflow from spa to pool. I have been adding 1 cup of MA daily. I don't like my pH to get up to 7.8. I try to keep between 7.5-7.7. Hard to tell what it is over 7.8 and my CH is high, so it's better to keep it lower for me.
    20,000 gal inground hourglass shape with 7' Hot Tub with overflow; Gunite
    Hayward TriStar 1.85/.22 THP - Hayward cartrige filter- SWG.
    Hayward Gas Heater

11. Back To Top    #11

Question on PH

Thanks for all the information and assurance. I will continue to dose weekly with MA!

12. Back To Top    #12

Question on PH

Quote Originally Posted by linen

Im just concerned that Leslie always said I had 90-100CYA and when I test is always about 50. Guess I need to learn to trust my test
    Typically new users get higher than actual readings. You do need to trust your readings since pool stores typically get this one wrong. If it helps, here are the cya extended test kit directions: http://www.troublefreepool.com/exten...1.html#p206397
    Good info. Quick question. The kit I got just came with a bottle with a label on it. It says fill to bottom of label with pool water then to top of label with CYA regent. Is there a more accurate measurement to be used? I.e. 7ml pool water 7ml cya agent?

Thanks

13. Back To Top    #13

It is 50/50 pool water/R-0013

7ml/7ml is fine and if you cya is higher then 50 (but under 90), you can do 3.5/3.5
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

14. Back To Top    #14

Question on PH

Quote Originally Posted by linen
    It is 50/50 pool water/R-0013

7ml/7ml is fine and if you cya is higher then 50 (but under 90), you can do 3.5/3.5
    great - thanks!