Neighbor ready to jump

Blink

Jul 29, 2011
Somerset, WI
Ok Im a newbie and started on this site last year when I got my pool. Got the TF-100 kit and all has been great with my pool since doing the BBB. The neighbors however not so good. He is a pool guy who loves to go to the pool store and buy all the pre-packaged stuff. Shocks, stabilizers, clarifiers, you name it. So lately I have told him about this stuff here (BBB) getting him to change. Ran tests the other day and his chlorine is at 0. He uses all the time Trichlor pucks. Tested his CYA and I get roughly 80. His PH is about 6.8. I have never dealt with stuff so out of whack. I put in yesterday 3-BIG jugs of Bleach to no avail. Chlorine still does not register. Using the k-1000 kit.

After reading here I told him he might need to drain down a foot and then go to shock levels with bleach. Maybe an Algae bloom?? Heck really do not know. I told him to go to the pool store and buy straight chlorine (5gal jugs) buying 3 of them. Chlorine is 10.8%. thought this would be more efficient than a pile of clorox jugs to try to correct. His pool is roughly 29,000 gal. Told him to store away the pucks for now. Have no idea (being a newbie) if I should even get involved in trying to help/convert him. Am I doing this right, is my thinking right? What do I do...HELP!!

Sounds like you have the right idea
... although many people are not receptive. Can you get him the come tobthe site and start reading for himself?

I would suggest about 50% water change. Get the pH up in the low 7s. And start the shock process.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

Is he really ready to jump...you description does not make me think so...may I am wrong?

My advice would be to mention to him how you maintain your pool, he can see the results for himself, then let him come to you if he wants too. In the end, unless you are going to do all the work for him in the future, he is going to have to learn this method...although if he is receptive, you can help with that.

Thanks! He is receptive, I have sent him a link to this site and told him to do pool school. But long and short of it is he wants my help to get this thing (pool) turned around this weekend. Any idea for a pool with 29,000 gal how much Chlorine to bring to shock level? How do I go about it? Never had to do this before. He is filling pool as I type. He only drained it down about 15inches. I know not ideal but is this workable? ...I also told him to get a case of beer :cheers:

mpacheco72, THANKS! So to bring up PH just add about a Box or two of 20-mule team Borax, or? I have his pool uncovered and jets running on high. When do I test the PH again after I dump a bunch of Borax in? Get PH at least to 7.2?

Blink said:
He is filling pool as I type. He only drained it down about 15inches. I know not ideal but is this workable?
You need to know what the new cya level (after the drain/refill) is before you can determine what the FC level is needed for shocking.

Blink said:
His PH is about 6.8
Do you know his TA level? Borax is the best choice for raising ph, but if his TA is really low (lower than 50 ppm) then raise that first with Baking soda.

What did his water look like before draining?

linen said:
Blink said:
He is filling pool as I type. He only drained it down about 15inches. I know not ideal but is this workable?
You need to know what the new cya level (after the drain/refill) is before you can determine what the FC level is needed for shocking.

Blink said:
His PH is about 6.8
Do you know his TA level? Borax is the best choice for raising ph, but if his TA is really low (lower than 50 ppm) then raise that first with Baking soda.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
All of you are the best! He is running to stores now to get the goods. I will report back later tonight or in the morning on my findings. I will follow the levels in the calculator depending on my TA test and CYA test and work on PH first. I just wish that CYA test is not so subjective. Filling the tube until the dot is covered is a little bit of a Crud shoot as to when it is “truly” covered. Thanks All!!!!

Blink said:
his pool looks very clear actually.
What have you been getting for CC? If it is less than 0.5 ppm, then you may want to a OCLT before you go all out shocking then. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/overnight_fc_test

Since he let his FC drop to 0, it is likely he has organics, but lets do the OCLT to make sure. For the OCLT, I would probably raise the FC level up to shock level for his cya (since he let his FC drop to 0 and in anticipation of needing to shock anyway). Then for first (evening) test, do the test at least an hour after adding chlorine (and after the sun is off the pool). Again in the morning make sure the test is done before the sun hits the pool. Also, make sure the chlorinator is empty so that does not skew the results.

Will do Mod Squad! Have never done the OCLT so this will be a first for me...part of my training I guess :) I will follow your link and perform tonight. Thanks for everyone’s help! This site is the BEST!

...His beer better be cold!

I should probably add, if the TA is above 50 ppm, then just adjust ph with borax and the pump running. Retest 1 hour later and readjust until ph is 7.2-7.4. Since you are reading 6.8, it may be lower, since the test indicates 6.8 for everything lower than that.

RaviePoolGirl said:
Dumping in all the chlorine as you stated in the 1st post leads me to believe he should shock the pool. Sounds like the 3 BIG jugs were used up so quickly, you never was able to get a chlorine measurement from it.
Good point! Definitely raise up to the shock level when doing the OCLT tonight so you can get a jump on the shocking process.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.