Intex Krystal Clear sand filter issue

Jun 15, 2012
Hey all,

Hopefully this is the correct forum for this topic, wasn't really sure since it's related to an AGP. I've used Intex pools for the past 4 or 5 years, but finally decided to go all out with the 18' Ultra frame and the sand filter pump from Intex (so a complete newb in that way). Anyway, the problem I am having is that my pressure readings on the gauge when the pump is filtering usually stays at the line separating green and yellow on the gauge - I can get the exact psi reading if needed.

The pump seems to have a lot of pressure/flow out into the pool, however, after a couple hours of running the pressure or flow coming out into the pool drops quiet a bit. I backwash, and it's okay for yet another 2-3 hours. The pressure reading never appears to fluctuate much if at all. It does drop to zero when testing, but jumps back to that level when I switch to filtering.

Few other things.. It's only been up about a month and is still fairly clean, but since we can't run the pump for longer periods of time it is a little milky now. I used the sand that WalMart sells, which is where I bought the pump. I tried searching here and Google, but couldn't find any answers or overlooked it.

Thanks very much!

Welcome

I agree with Bama, I used the smaller intex sand filter on my last pool. The old pump had died and we upgraded, had the beginnings of an algae bloom before we got the new pump and filter. Went through the shocking process and filtering out the road dust we get. The first couple of weeks we had a similar problem, though the flow on ours would drop about 15 min after the kids got in and stirred everything up off the bottom. The pressure gauge never rose more than 1-2 psi but back washing for a minute would return the flow to higher levels. Once we got all the fine material filtered out I didn't have to back wash for the rest of the season. I suspect the pump doesn't have a lot of torque a full speed, so when there's a little more back pressure the flow drops quickly.

Bama Rambler said:
I bet it's filtering out stuff and you need to shock the pool,

I think we have the same sandfilter (check my sig) if so, then I'll second Bama's conclusion.
When I first set this pump up, the pressure was just below the green/yellow range on the gauge and over the next few days the pressure really climbed; however, I was filtering out iron from a poop-soup mess. Once this stuff was gone and I back washed the third time afterwards (so several backwashes during the cleanup), the pressure has dropped some (I may not have had a good initial back wash) and has stayed in the green since then...

Something I was doing was using paper towels in the over-the-side skimmer and changing them out every few hours to get rid of the suspended iron. Depending on how big the stuff is in your pool, you may be able to do the same. You don't need a whole lot of the towels in the skimer, just three or four, wadded up and put in the basket (use the basket to keep them from plugging the intake)...

It WILL be a mess; however worth it... take a look at where I was (sorry no pictures) on the first few pages:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/i-may-be-a-chemist-but-the-pool-is-smarter-than-i-am-t44884.html
This is a success story:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/a-tale-of-two-filters-and-ugly-rusty-water-t46130.html

Get the test kit, really, get the test kit... I work in a lab so I have access to the nice toys; however, I don't have those toys at home so I fly a little blind for right now (kit on order!). A good test kit will save you alot of frustration and money - and these guys will be able to really help you out with the information they can give you.

Been reading the posts and the success is amazing... these people are great!

Good luck, I'll be following along.
-wc

Thanks for the replies and welcome. I could have sworn I posted a reply to this last week, but I don't see it. Anyway, I am planning on getting a test kit for the pool, but have not had a chance to do so yet. I can now backwash and the pump will only run for about 30 to 40 minutes then the pressure or flow rather, coming out into the pool drops to almost nothing. I don't see any leaks, etc., but can take a picture of my setup -maybe I am missing something?

Also, where's a good place to pick up a test kit for the pool? WalMart, local pool store or online?

Thanks again!

skywalker84 said:
pool drops to almost nothing. I don't see any leaks, etc., but can take a picture of my setup -maybe I am missing something?
Also, where's a good place to pick up a test kit for the pool? WalMart, local pool store or online?
Thanks again!
Pictures of your setup and the water would be good... I don't remember did you say what the water looks like? I just backwashed mine Sunday and it's been about a week or so since the last time... I was vaccuming the bottom... should have taken the stuff to waste but I didn't want to wast any water. I let the pump run daily for about 6 hours on the timer.
-
Test kit... I ordered the TF100 from http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html after reading about the different kits available. Unless you're used to twirling and spinning sample tubes, you might add the little mag-stir option. The cost is comparable to anywhere else and I think a better value in the long run as the amount of reagents is greater in this kit.

If you haven't already, read: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison

-wc

The water is blue, but milky. It does not have any significant large particles as we've kept up with vacuuming and skimming. Tomorrow I plan on dedicating some time to this, so will be picking up a test kit and take pictures. I'll also be ordering a better test kit later.

When I came home from work late this evening the water was no longer milky, although I have not ran the pump since my last post due to there being no flow (I was afraid of damaging something). There was some suspended debris and some had settled on the bottom where I'd not vacuumed. Due to the lighting I will take pics and try to post tomorrow of the pool and setup.

As for the testing kit, I picked up the 3-way kit and the test strips at WalMart to keep from driving 55 miles one way since we don't have a local pool store.

Here is the results from the test strips (AquaChem). Same results, multiple times.

Total Hardness: B100 (low low)
Total CH: A0 (very low)
Free CH & BR: A0 / A0 (very low)
pH: A 6.8 (low)
Total AK: B40 (low)
Stabilizer: Between A0 and B50 (very low to OK)

On the 3-way test kit for CH/BR/pH I ran out of daylight before I could try.

Your filter is doing exactly what you want it to do....it is filtering debris from your pool. Your pool surely has algae (and maybe something else) and you must shock your pool.

read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School then read "How to Shock Your Pool". If you learn the ABC's article and then follow the shock article, you can clear your pool. You will need a better test kit but I think you know that.

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping the test results might indicate something other then just needing to be shocked, because the reason I've not is due to not being able to run the pump. I wasn't sure how much good it would do to shock without running the pump? I definitely agree on the need for the better testing kit; those at WM does not inspire much confidence! :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.