Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need help with pool fill line

1. Back To Top    #1

Need help with pool fill line

Hello everyone, I recently bought a foreclosed home with a pool. This is my first pool and since the home was a foreclosure, I did not get the oppurtunity to have the previous owner show me how everything on the pool works. By reading this website, I think I have a good understanding now how the filtration system works but I have one problem that I havent been able to work out. There is a PVC pipe sticking out of the side of the pool, about a 1" diameter pipe. This pipe is just above the water line. Now I thought it was a dedicated line to fill the pool, however I cannot find anywhere to turn the water on. What is going on here? Is it possible that it was plumbed to the pool but never connected to a water source? I really do not want to start digging to find the other end of the pipe. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ed

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need help with pool fill line

Welcome to TFP.

There's a good chance that's an overflow and not a fill line.

If it's a fill line there should be a valve with a backflow preventer real close to it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    Welcome to TFP.

If it's a fill line there should be a valve with a backflow preventer real close to it.
    And if it is stick a hose in it and see where the water comes out....
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

4. Back To Top    #4

You can try that but if it goes to a buried cistern you may not see it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

I don't think it is an overflow line. On the other side of the pool there is a small square grate at the water line that i am sure is the overflow drain. It rained a few days ago and there was definately water draining through that grate.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by harleysilo
    Welcome to TFP.

And if it is stick a hose in it and see where the water comes out....
    I do have a backflow preventer on the side of the house. My sprinkler system would not come on. I went to the backflow preventer and noticed the valve was in the off position. When I tried to turn the valve to the on position, the handle fell apart in my hand from rust. I assumed that backflow preventer went to the sprinkler system since the water was turned off and the sprinklers didnt come on. This may be a dumb question but is it possible for the sprinklers and the pool fill line to use the same backflow preventer?

Thanks,
    Ed

7. Back To Top    #7

You can try that but if it goes to a buried cistern you may not see it.
    Alternatively if the line fills up and starts squirting out around the hose it may mean there is a valve on the other end....
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

8. Back To Top    #8

Yes they can share the backflow preventer but then your fill would either have to have a separate valve or an auto fill float.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

Yes they can share the backflow preventer but then your fill would either have to have a separate valve or an auto fill float.

Weird, No valves that I can find and there isnt a float anywhere. I guess I need to replace the valve on the backflow preventer and see what it does.

Ed

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Any pictures you could load? I am suspecting this may simply be the filter return outlet
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by danpik
    Any pictures you could load? I am suspecting this may simply be the filter return outlet
    So what do you think?
    Attached Images Attached Images

12. Back To Top    #12

That looks like a fill line to me. If it's not tied into a hose bib on the house, it may be tied into your sprinkler system. Our previous house had a separate zone on the sprinkler system for the pool fill line.
    Carman
    17K gallon IG pool w/Spa, 400,000 BTU Propane Hayward Heater, StoneScapes finish w/sealed Oklahoma Flagstone coping and tanning ledge, Hayward Aquarite Salt System, 60ft D.E. filter, Hayward Tristar 2 HP 2 speed pump, Polaris 280, Pro Logic PS4 w/freeze guard. New build December 2013. Pool gets full sun.