Is it an upgrade?

Jan 21, 2011
I notice that most pool builders go with hayward equipment. I do not plan on having a waterfall or anything special, except probably going with SWG. Is hayward good equipment? Doing my reading, It sounds like Pentair and Jandy products seem a little better in quality. I do like the idea of most the equipment being the same brand. If I were to ask my pool builder to change the equipment to Pentair or Jandy, what should I expect to see in price increases and quality. PS, I have tried to piece a system together with different parts, but never sure if they are compatible, equivalent etc.

I have all Hayward equipment. Other than one pump that I had to replace the motor on, I have had no equipment problems in over six years of operation. My neighbor has all Pentair equipment and has had few issues. It seems that pool builders have an established relationship with a vendor and are more familiar and comfortable with one brand or the other. You don't want people pointing fingers at one another if warranty issues come up. If you have a preference, ask the PB about it, but I don't think it would be worth spending a lot of extra money to have a PB put in equipment he is less familiar and less comfortable with.

I do agree with the point of them being comfortable with the products. Just curious overall, as my perfect set (in my mind) would have a jandy cartridge filter, pentair pump, unsure of SWG. But you get the point. I was all over the place, but I was never in the mind set of all hayward. Not saying they are bad, but found products that I like when shopping comparing, etc.
Thanks for the input

It seems to depend on the pool builder, some seem to stock up on their "standard pool equipment kit" when their may be deals buying in bulk, or in the off season and charge more for any changes. A side effect of this is sometimes either oversized or undersized pumps/filters being included in the standard package pool deal (it seems most often though that these package equipment deals will be oversized on the pump, and likely maginally undersized on the filter, but then again most of us around here think bigger is better on filters). As to the different manufacturers don't confuse bells and whistles with quality, it does seem Hayward products lack some of the bells and whistles, but this does not seem to effect their build quality or life expectancy ,at least not much.

Ike

btmonroe said:
I notice that most pool builders go with hayward equipment. I do not plan on having a waterfall or anything special, except probably going with SWG. Is hayward good equipment? Doing my reading, It sounds like Pentair and Jandy products seem a little better in quality. I do like the idea of most the equipment being the same brand. If I were to ask my pool builder to change the equipment to Pentair or Jandy, what should I expect to see in price increases and quality. PS, I have tried to piece a system together with different parts, but never sure if they are compatible, equivalent etc.

my pb installs hayward but used to do pentair. he said I could have comparable pentair equip at no extra charge (he said the hayward stuff was actually a bit more). He said that in the past hayward wasnt very good, but right now hayward is better than pentair. He said the most important thing is how active the rep is in your area. Apparently our areas pentair rep is bad. The hayward rep is great (for dealing with any issues).

this forum generally likes pentair better.

also I believe that if you go with all one equip set the mfg increases the warranty.

All three are essentially equivalent. Everyone loves to debate about the tiny differences that remain and everyone has a favorite. But in absolute terms they are nearly identical. This is especially true for pumps and filters, not quite as true for automation systems, which are still very similar but you can start to notice some differences.

Thanks for the info. So it sounds like I really should not worry of which brand they bid out so much. But I have learned that in any case, I should probably upsize the filter (weather it be cartridge or sand). But other than that let the pool expert do his stuff?

I would oversize the filter and be sure to get a variable speed (or at least multi speed) pump. Both will pay dividends in the future. Pay attention to the plumbing. How many suction lines, separated and valves? Same with returns.

I dont plan on having a waterfall or spa, so is a multi speed or dual speed recommended? When would I adjust the speeds? Do you filter differently at night then during the day. Excuse me being green to the pool world. I like the idea of lowering my ongoing cost, but not sure if additional cost would be offset. Of course if I can save money in the long run I want to. Btw my electric bill is .06689 Kwh here.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Multi speed allows you to run at a lower speed and a longer time for filtering and still save a lot on electric. You will need to run at a higher speed for cleaning and vacuuming the pool. You will also need a higher speed if you ever add solar heating. My neighbor just changed to variable speed and went from 8 hrs run time to 16 at lower speed. The pool is much cleaner (in fact it sparkles like never before) and the electricity is about half.

My biggest expense for the pool is the electric bill. Saving half looks pretty good.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.