Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Extending Life of SWG

1. Back To Top    #1

Extending Life of SWG

What are some of the most important factors for extending the life of a cell? I have the Pentair IC40 and I have my pool opened from around early May through Sept or so. Here are some questions that come to mind.

1. Is it better to run it for a shorter period of time at a higher % or vice versa?
    2. Should I remove my cell in the winter?
    3. Do I really need to buy one of those cleaners and use it on my cell?

This is my first full summer with our pool as we finished it halfway through last summer.

Thanks.
    18 x 36 IG Vinyl Liner 28K Gallons
    Pentair Intelliflo VS+SVRS, Pentair CC + 420 Cartridge Filter, Easytouch CP with IC40 SWG
    2" Suction and Return Lines - 2 skimmers, 6 returns
    Dolphin Diagnostic Advantage Robot

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Extending Life of SWG

If/when i need to go through the shocking process, I plan to do it with bleach vs. trying to use the Super-chlorinate feature. In fact i don't plan on ever using the super-chlorinate feature.
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

3. Back To Top    #3

Pretty sure the percentage is the percentage of the time the SWG is on while the pump is running, And not an output percentage. Some will correct me if I am wrong.
    12k gal. Free form 14' x 28' IG gunite, 8' raised spa, Hayward T15 SWG, Hayward Ecostar VS pump, Hayward Super II pump, Booster pump, Polaris 280, Hayward DE 7220 filter, 400k Btu heater, Color logic LED lights. Pro Logic controller with remote.

4. Back To Top    #4

1) No difference. Total chlorine produced is what matters. It doesn't matter how you get there.
    2) Doesn't matter much.
    3) Not unless you get scaling, and if so, you should rebalance your chemistry so you don't get scaling in the cell.

The main effect on cell lifetime is maintaining proper chemical levels, especially PH and CYA. Avoiding anything that might require cleaning the cell also helps. If you have to clean the cell then you have to clean the cell, but don't get into the situation in the first place if you can avoid it.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I ageee with what jason said.

As a reference, Ive had my IC-40 for 4 pool season, April-september. I've never cleaned it not once. Doesnt need it. But then again I have very soft water and keep almost no calcium in the water since i have a vinyl pool.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok. I had thought I heard somewhere that the total run time (amount of time producing chlorine) is what determined the cell life. But I also have heard that using super chorinate feature and running higher % effected the life so I didn't know what to believe. That is why I was curious if I'm better off to run it at 100% for say 8 hours instead of say 50% for 16 hours in terms of cell life. But then again I guess the electric bill for the extended run time would offset any future cell savings.

My chlorine levels are fine but I'm just trying to fine tune things now to make it the most efficient it can be.
    18 x 36 IG Vinyl Liner 28K Gallons
    Pentair Intelliflo VS+SVRS, Pentair CC + 420 Cartridge Filter, Easytouch CP with IC40 SWG
    2" Suction and Return Lines - 2 skimmers, 6 returns
    Dolphin Diagnostic Advantage Robot