Question about adding salt

poolneophyte

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 1, 2009
Long Island, NY
The owners manual for my Jandy AquaPure SWG says that chlorine production must be set to zero for 24 hours following the addition of salt. Is this the case if I am only adding one bag of salt to top off the level? If I follow the instructions and shut off the SGW then I must manually dose with chlorine during this period. Do others really do it this way when topping off the salt level?

If you are within range for your cell to run, you don't have to turn it off to add salt. They are talking about when you go from 0 salt to the proper range, to give the salt time to dissolve and be there for the cell.

If you have a main drain, you definitely want to turn the SWG down to zero for 24 hours following any salt addition. Failing to do so can burn out the power supply. If you don't have a main drain it is not nearly as important, but is still recommended.

Thanks for the responses. Rather than risk my overpriced Jandy equipment, I will follow the instructions and shut off the cell for 24 hours. It seems like any Jandy repair part costs about 3 - 4 times what it is worth and I'd rather not risk the expense.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.