Questions regarding floor order for sand, gorilla pad, foam

EH

Jun 7, 2012
Hello all,

I am replacing an 18' above ground pool (circular) and i removed all the sand already. I also bought a gorilla pad. In addition i was thinking of buying the hard plastic foam sheets (mainly for insulation a for the bottom of the pool).

Worth noting is that the sand has some small pebbles (i am filtering it thru 1/4 mesh to remove any larger stones). The sand is mostly pure... The pebbles are simply due to having to dig it out from the old pool (slight ground scrapings).

Question One (assuming no floor foam):
I am wondering if i am supposed to put the sand down on the ground and then the gorilla pad above the tamped down sand? Or would i put the gorilla pad down first and the sand on top of the gorilla pad?

Question Two: if using floor foam i would assume the order would be: floor foam, sand, then gorilla pad. Is that correct?

Question Three: does the floor foam really work well as an insulator? Is it worth the trouble and expense of adding it?

(btw, i plan to use wall foam and foam coving as well... In case that makes a difference to the above questions)

Ahead of schedule (yay!) So I might be at the point to start laying the floor today, so hopefully some can throw me a reply soon.

As always thanks in advance for any recommendations,
EH

Re: Questions regarding floor order for sand, gorilla pad, f

EH said:
Question One (assuming no floor foam):
I am wondering if i am supposed to put the sand down on the ground and then the gorilla pad above the tamped down sand? Or would i put the gorilla pad down first and the sand on top of the gorilla pad?

Question Two: if using floor foam i would assume the order would be: floor foam, sand, then gorilla pad. Is that correct?

Question Three: does the floor foam really work well as an insulator? Is it worth the trouble and expense of adding it?

Not sure how you are getting your sand, but screenings are cheaper, (if you are having the sand trucked in), and make a better base, it settles much less than sand.

The order should be: Floor (ground/Earth), Plastic Sheeting (optional), Sand, Foam (optional, but it makes a firmer surface under the liner than sand does), then the Gorilla pad, then Liner.

The insulation will make some difference as an insulator, but on bottom not so much, it is used mostly for foot comfort while in the pool, and it doesn't leave footprints or pockets in the bottom, (uneven liner floor over time).

If you do use the screenings like we are doing then the foam will also put something between the small fine stones and the liner, (just an insurance policy).

Hope this helps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.