pool water clouds up frequently

tltmom

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 5, 2011
Urbana, IL
my apologies in advance to the moderator that drew the short straw and got stuck answering my question...
background: Pool built and plastered in fall 2010. I started bbb in mid summer 2011. Pool winterized last fall, opened mid-April. I have shocked the pool 3 times since then. The first round I probably didn't quite finish, second and third times I shocked until 3 criteria met.

Most recent shock completed 6/3. Passed oclt (lost 1ppm overnight 2 nights in a row) this last round, let fc drop to maintainance for Cya=60, have used liquid cl only. It took 3 days for Cl to drop to maintainance levels, so I thought I had finished shocking.

Since then, I have added 3-3.5 ppm per day, maintaining Cl between 6.5 at the lowest and 10.5 at the highest. Thought I was getting into a pretty good routine.

My question is, I noticed that the pool looks slightly hazy after we have a lot of swimmers (6 rowdy teens for several hours at a time). Main drain in deep end clearly visible, but water just
seems slightly "off". It seems to take around 24 hours for this to go back to clear. When it does, the pool sparkles.

Following a suggestion I got a few weeks ago, I finally got a stainless steel brush. (I had been
using a nylon wall whale brush before that, brushed & vaccuumed once or twice per week.). Using the ss brush for the first time today, I got big white puffs off the walls and floor when I brushed. water is looking hazy, but drain still visible.

Did an oclt last night, since I am trying to keep a super close eye on things.
9pm: 12.0, 0cc
5am: 11.0, .5 cc, retested 11.0, 0 cc

I was hoping for some advice about a couple of things:
#1. does it sound like something is growing in the pool? or does the cloudiness come from
stirring up plaster dust?
#2. would adding de to my sand filter help the cloudiness if it is from plaster dust?

I feel like I have read pool school, but my pool has not.
I'm really hoping to fix things once and for all so that I can just do routine maintainance and actually enjoy this pool.

oops, forgot this morning's test#s. (I know how you all like your numbers!)
FC/cc 11.0,.5/11.0,0
pH. 7.7 last night, not tested this am
TA 130
CYA 60
CH 250-270 (fading endpoint)
salt 3800 (swg off for now)

I noticed that the pool looks slightly hazy after we have a lot of swimmers (6 rowdy teens for several hours at a time).
Very common issue.....filter and chlorine both become somewhat overloaded. Elevate your chlorine by about 3 ppm BEFORE they get in the pool.....that may not cure the cloudiness but it will lessen it and it will clean up quicker. Run the pump continuously during the before, during, and after.

Apologies in advance for the rambling...
still having issues with pool hazing up slightly EVERY time we use it. Usually have at most 5 or 6 swimmers, for several hours. That just seems to me like it should be too small of a "demand" on the pool to cause haziness inthe water. Never had this problem last summer, or maybe never noticed.
It takes 24 hours or a little more for it to improve/clear up.
I shocked on 6/17-6/18 to see if that would help. (retested cya, =50-55)
I kept Cl above 18 at the very least the whole time I shocked. I'm letting it drop today. Its been very sunny and very hot here (90+ air/88 pool temps)
Water looked clear this morning, after having no swimmers since Sunday. I've been brushing, vaccuuming while shocking.
No fc loss last night. fc dropped from 27.0 to 14.0 today
Once the Cl got down to 15.5 this afternoon, I let the kids (4) in the pool. Water went from sparkly to just a hint hazy.
This is hard to take since I have a bad case of sparkly poolitis!

current tests
Fc 14.0 cc very slight 0<cc<.5
pH. not tested. 7.5 when I started shocking
TA 120
CYA 50-55
salt 3800 (taylor salt test)
CH. (floating endpoint issues here) 250

I'm wondering if I have a filtration issue? Filter pressure has only gone up 1 psi since Sunday. Could there be some really fine silty stuff we are stirring up when we swim that the filter just can't catch? I never have opened the filter to see if it is channeled, but maybe I should?
Or should I lower my expectations a bit? I just don't recall having any clarity issues last season(except one time that I needed to shock, resolved completely)

I will get some scumballs. I used to use them but they got thrown away when I shocked a few weeks ago.

Water cleared up just fine over night, probably because fc was so high, and ran the pump/filter.

Yes, the kids wore sunscreen, or at least my son did. (With 2 docs for parents he doesn't stand a chance when it comes to safety stuff like sunscreen and bike helmets, poor kid.)
So I'm sure we added some oils to the water.

Looks like I need to use a little more POP and try an adult beverage next time I see a little bit of cloudiness after swimming. I'm also going to vaccuum more frequently and brush more as well.

Thank you all for being patient with all my questions. :oops:

6 kids in the pool will eat up a lot of chlorine, some haziness in the water is normal. you can increase the chlorine production on your intellichlor to combat this. Your stabilizer levels are fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.