Six years ago, I bought my current home with an in-ground pool. The previous owner used Baquacil and convinced me that it was a good alternative to chlorine. My experience and my budget told me otherwise, but I did finally achieve a clear pool using the stuff, but at GREAT cost. At the end of last season, my automatic cover broke a rope (2nd time in 2 years, after $2,000 replacement...grrrr). I shut off my pump one day after Labor Day and it wouldn't start again. The pool quickly turned into a murky green pond. I got the cover to close and left it for spring to deal with.
When I opened the cover in April, the pool quickly turned from pond to swamp. I got my pump going again and decided it was time to make the switch to chlorine. That's when I discovered this website! The descriptions of converting were so encouraging and helpful. I ordered a TF100 testkit. Anxious to begin, I bought 40 jugs of bleach at Aldi and started adding bleach. I used test strips to estimate my levels while I waited for the TF100 to arrive. The water turned from to green to blue to milky grey. I kept it at shock level for several days. I pretty sure my Baquacil levels were low or even zero when I started, after the way the pool sat and filled with algae last fall, so the chlorine probably had to contend with the algae more than anything. I ran my Dolphin Diagnostic to deal with the leaves and muck that I couldn't get out with the leaf rake. When the TF100 came in, I added CYA (stabilizer) to get it up to 40 ppm. I finally felt like I was in control of my pool, which I had wanted for a long time! I was never content with putting my fate in the hands of the pool store. When the water was relatively clear and I passed the overnight chlorine loss test, I changed my sand and after another week or so, the water is now crystal clear! I'm spending far less on chemicals and my water quality is great! No bad smells, no burning eyes, no respiratory issues, no skin irritations! Even though they tell you that Baquacil is supposed to be safer than chlorine, several of us had reactions to it, or the algacide in it--congestion, sneezing, red eyes, etc. Thanks to everyone who contributes to this website--I'm SO happy with my pool!