Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: A tremendous success!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

A tremendous success!!!

Six years ago, I bought my current home with an in-ground pool. The previous owner used Baquacil and convinced me that it was a good alternative to chlorine. My experience and my budget told me otherwise, but I did finally achieve a clear pool using the stuff, but at GREAT cost. At the end of last season, my automatic cover broke a rope (2nd time in 2 years, after $2,000 replacement...grrrr). I shut off my pump one day after Labor Day and it wouldn't start again. The pool quickly turned into a murky green pond. I got the cover to close and left it for spring to deal with.

When I opened the cover in April, the pool quickly turned from pond to swamp. I got my pump going again and decided it was time to make the switch to chlorine. That's when I discovered this website! The descriptions of converting were so encouraging and helpful. I ordered a TF100 testkit. Anxious to begin, I bought 40 jugs of bleach at Aldi and started adding bleach. I used test strips to estimate my levels while I waited for the TF100 to arrive. The water turned from to green to blue to milky grey. I kept it at shock level for several days. I pretty sure my Baquacil levels were low or even zero when I started, after the way the pool sat and filled with algae last fall, so the chlorine probably had to contend with the algae more than anything. I ran my Dolphin Diagnostic to deal with the leaves and muck that I couldn't get out with the leaf rake. When the TF100 came in, I added CYA (stabilizer) to get it up to 40 ppm. I finally felt like I was in control of my pool, which I had wanted for a long time! I was never content with putting my fate in the hands of the pool store. When the water was relatively clear and I passed the overnight chlorine loss test, I changed my sand and after another week or so, the water is now crystal clear! I'm spending far less on chemicals and my water quality is great! No bad smells, no burning eyes, no respiratory issues, no skin irritations! Even though they tell you that Baquacil is supposed to be safer than chlorine, several of us had reactions to it, or the algacide in it--congestion, sneezing, red eyes, etc. Thanks to everyone who contributes to this website--I'm SO happy with my pool!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    25,000 gal in-ground, vinyl, 1 HP Hayward Max-Flo pump, 250 lb. SwimPro sand filter, Dolphin Diagnostic robot, TF100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: A tremendous success!!!

Very, very nice!
    18'x48" AG
    Pentair 1 1/2 HP Dynamo Pump
    Sand Dollar Sand Filter w/ Zeobrite
    Lil Shark Vacuum System
    Hard Plumbed

3. Back To Top    #3

Looks beautiful !!
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

4. Back To Top    #4

Jorge - Tampa Bay

• Pool Configuration
      11,000 gallon Stonescapes Mini Carribean Blue
      MX8 Barracuda
      Hayward C1200 Cartridge Filter with a DISABLED 3" In-line Chlorinator
      3/4 hp Jacuzzi Pump
      TFT 100 Testing Kit w/ Speedstir
      Wall Whale Brush / Aqua Comb Filter Cleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

Congrats on your conversion! As a former Baquacil user, I can promise that you and your bank account will be much happier with a BBB pool. Doesn't it feel great to know you finally have total control of your pool?
    AG 18' X 52" Round Pacifica Pool w/ Metal Diamond Unibead Liner. Installed in March 2007.
    2.5 HP Baquapure 2 Speed Pump, 200 GPM Waterway ProClean Cartridge Filter System.

Former Baquacil user
    Converted to BBB in Fall of 2009 - Now I have a truly trouble free pool!

6. Back To Top    #6

It does feel great--at this point, I couldn't be happier with the results!
    25,000 gal in-ground, vinyl, 1 HP Hayward Max-Flo pump, 250 lb. SwimPro sand filter, Dolphin Diagnostic robot, TF100 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by drmercer
    I finally felt like I was in control of my pool, which I had wanted for a long time!
    That's the most awesome part of the whole thread, right there.
    -Gordon
    Pool School helps me maintain my 13,500G 24' x 48" ASP with Sand Filtration using a TF100 Test Kit and Pool Calculator.
    Remember, the Shock Process should be followed until : 1. CC is less than 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less and, 3. The water is crystal clear.
    --I didn't buy my pool to swim in it. I bought my pool to watch my wife swim in it. :wink: