Please help! Skimmer/Leak Question

Apr 19, 2012
Okay, we are the crazy people who are restoring an old in ground pool. We thought we were done but....we are losing water somewhere. Before you ask, we had the plumbing pressure tested, I have tried shutting off 1 feature each night and we still lose water. So I went to the skimmer. We have a two hole bottom. One is closed, it just lets out to the underground. One heads to the pump. Next to both of these holes are two small circular holes, about 1/8-1/16 in diameter. I stuck a toothpick in these and they go in anywhere from 1/2-3/4 inch. Could these be the culprit? Do I need to plug them? How should I plug them? I attached some before and after for you...

Attachments

• pool1.jpg
    pool1.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 107
  • pool2.jpg
    pool2.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 107
  • pool3.jpg
    pool3.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 107
You can use some leak detection dye or food coloring in front of the hole, see if it gets sucked into the hole. If it does, you know that's the culprit. That's how they found the leak at my skimmer before I knew how to find that stuff myself. And that pool putty stuff holds up really well. I thought I'd only get a year out of it but I am on 2 now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.