Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Please help! Skimmer/Leak Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Please help! Skimmer/Leak Question

Okay, we are the crazy people who are restoring an old in ground pool. We thought we were done but....we are losing water somewhere. Before you ask, we had the plumbing pressure tested, I have tried shutting off 1 feature each night and we still lose water. So I went to the skimmer. We have a two hole bottom. One is closed, it just lets out to the underground. One heads to the pump. Next to both of these holes are two small circular holes, about 1/8-1/16 in diameter. I stuck a toothpick in these and they go in anywhere from 1/2-3/4 inch. Could these be the culprit? Do I need to plug them? How should I plug them? I attached some before and after for you...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    38000 gal inground - 1.5 hp hayward superpump 300lb sandfilter-k-2006 test kit-diving board-slide-10' x 15' tiki bar-outdoor living room

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Please help! Skimmer/Leak Question

How much water are you losing daily?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

About an inch
    38000 gal inground - 1.5 hp hayward superpump 300lb sandfilter-k-2006 test kit-diving board-slide-10' x 15' tiki bar-outdoor living room

4. Back To Top    #4

Have you let it leak down to where it stops leaking at?

Those holes should be screw holes and shouldn't be open but some pool putty will seal them up if you're concerned.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

You can use some leak detection dye or food coloring in front of the hole, see if it gets sucked into the hole. If it does, you know that's the culprit. That's how they found the leak at my skimmer before I knew how to find that stuff myself. And that pool putty stuff holds up really well. I thought I'd only get a year out of it but I am on 2 now.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

We are going to plug those holes today and do some caulking around the skimmer extender and see what happens......I may come crawling back on Tuesday begging for more help.

7. Back To Top    #7

How did it go? I've isolated my leak to my two pipe black bottom skimmer, and duh, saw I have two screws missing in the black plate.